Monday, March 26, 2012

Our Week End

This week end my husband and I went away for the week end. My husband really enjoys going to Purtis Creek to fish. So that is what we did first. It was very relaxing. There were only two parts that I really didn't like. #1 - when the sun when down then the lights over the pier came on and bugs from everywhere flocked to the light. And since we were right there- bugs were bugging me - lol! I am sorry, but I did not do a very good job at taking photos to share.
Next we went to the Fresh Water Hatchery.
These were some pretty flowers at the entrance. Wish they had been in the sunlight more - they were beautiful!
We took a tour around the place and then we went to the pond area - where they provide the basics for fishing. We found a great bench with a large umbrella and had a very nice time. We had quite a bit of luck.
Here is one of the fishies that I caught. My husband caught one even bigger than this:


While we were there we also visited the East Texas Arboretum. I really wish I had gotten more photos here. It was a great place to visit. And was only $2.00 per person.

They had a house with several furnished rooms. I really enjoy seeing how people used to live years ago.Of course, What I saw that I did not think that I would like - was having to use an out house. When I was about 12 years old - my dad lived somewhere where we had to use an outhouse. Not fun at all.
This photo does not do the garden justice. It was a very pretty garden. I would love to have a cute
little garden like that some day. Something to dream about and maybe take small steps toward it.
Next we walked on a hiking trail around to where they had a suspension bridge. We accidentally started on the wrong end of the trail.(It would have helped if they had maps that you could get and carry with you- my only complaint about the place.) We ended up having a nice walk and found the bridge and enjoyed it. It was not exactly what my husband had envisioned but it was fun. I was glad that there were not a lot of other people trying to cross the bridge when we did! It was quite bouncy with just the two of us. Not too bad though.
I was trying to include a link so you could go check out more photos of the East Texas Arboretum but I am not being able to make it work. But if you type in the eastexasarboretum.org - you should find it. Oh and click on the "Trails" at the top of the page and then you will want to click in the more photos of trails. Lots of great photos.

Another great place that we went to while we were in Athens - was the Henderson County Historical Museum. This was a very cool place. The down stars was where the grocery store- of like the lady there said - it was the "walmart" back in the day.
The upstairs was open to look around as well. Lots of cool stuff. I wish I had taken a few photos. We were in a bit of a hurry since we were there towards the end of its hours of being open. This was free - had a jar for donations. I like to support places like this because some people may not be able to afford going there but they set it up that everyone has a chance.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txhchc/museum/museum.htm
by the way - I borrowed the photo from their site. I can not get this to link up so I have to just put there link in like that.

Well I hope that you enjoyed our week end get away as much as we did. It was great to get away -just me and my husband. :)

3 comments:

  1. What a fun trip! Thank you for sharing it with me through your pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy walking visiting the Arboretum, especially the old homestead, it is so cool! You were in my neck of the woods, I live about 20 mins away from the Arboretum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann- that is so cool that you live near the Arboretum. It is a very cool place. I am hoping to be able to spend more time there the next time we go down there. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories