Friday, March 9, 2012

Glad I did This, Wish I had not done That

Good Morning~Today is one of my 2 laundry days. And I have to say that I am so glad that I decided to dedicate certain days to laundry. I have full loads by those days and I feel a sense of accomplishment when I do laundry now. Not only am I getting the job done but I am feeling satisfaction and you can't beat that.
******************************

Several of the blogs I read talk about deepening your pantry and have a little extra on hand just in case of emergencies. And with the way the economy is, I think it is a great idea. So when I saw these containers at work - I thought they would be awesome to store things like beans and rice in.
But there is a problem, a major problem, I can't seem to get the pickle smell out of them - no matter what I try. Do any of you have any suggestions? I would love to hear them so please share.

*******************


Now I am sure that you are all wondering what in the world this photo is here for:
Well believe it or not it is to help save money. That's right! About a year and a half or so ago, we had new windows put on our house. We got double paned, double hung windows thinking this was such a good idea. However, I am hoping that by sharing our experience I will be able to help save someone else from making the same mistake we did. We got double hung windows - now I am wishing we had not. You see when you open and close the bottom pane- it pulls on the top one and lowers it and so you can have the top window open without realizing it. So I have to use this board to go around and make sure that the windows are closed at the top. My husband tried to tell the company that makes the windows that they needed to come up with a way(he told them a great way) to design them so that you could make the top window stay in its place. Anyway so if I had it to do again - I would not pay the extra money for the double hung windows. Wish I could have them come out and change out our windows. Oh well...lesson learned.

3 comments:

  1. Unfortunately I do not have a suggestion for getting the pickle smell out of the containers. . . but one container that I use for my bulk beans and oats is to use five gallon buckets that you can get from Walmart or the hardware store. Just make sure you get the lid with them, and then I use two tools as well--one is a rubber mallet that I use to pound the lid of the bucket on nice and tight, the other is a plastic "C" shaped wrench type tool that I use to get the lid off! You just hook the edge of the tool under the rim of the lid and the lid comes off pretty easily. I have some buckets that I have used for years, and I have only very rarely had the edge of my lid crack and break. Most of them are holding up just wonderful.

    Sorry to hear about your windows--that is a TERRIBLE thing to happen with new windows!!! We have that problem in our house with our old windows, so I understand what you are talking about. Sometimes I have discovered the upper part of a window is slid down around four inches or so--and here we are either trying to heat or cool the outside! It would be even worse to have paid for new windows and to have the same problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To get the pickle smell out of containers, you need to fill the jar with water and put some baking soda in and let it soak for overnight. I don't know how much baking soda, if it doesn't work on the first try, put out more. I know this works for glass jars. I am not positive it will work for plastic, because plastic seems to take in smells more and hold on to them. I think though that the pickle smell shouldn't hurt dried beans, by the time you soak the beans and cook them, that should be way diluted and gone. You probably don't want to put flour in them though, if there is still a smell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara~ Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to try it out. And you are probably right about it not doing too much damage to beans.
    Thanks~ Lisa :O)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“The Central Issue: Love or Selfishness?” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN...

Sorry I missed posting last week. Here is the 2nd lesson in this series. I am hoping it blesses you! :O)