Saturday, October 23, 2010

Not a Diet - a Lifestyle Change

This photo was taken in March and to be honest I probably gained about 5 pounds or so after this photo. Well then when my husband and I went to Granbury for a week end get away I decided that I really needed to lose weight. During that week end I realized that I needed to have some classes to help me learn how to take better care of myself. Within a couple of weeks - I heard of a seminar being held by a Dr at a nearby hospital. I knew instantly that I was suppose to go. It was meant for me! I was so thankful - It cost me $129.00 but well worth it. At the beginning of Sept I started trying to make some changes to be healthier - but it was not until the week-end of the 10th when I started my seminar did I really make the important changes needed. Before then I had struggled over and over to give up soda. I had realized for years that it was not good for me. I used t0 drink Diet Coke - then my husband learned that Aspartame is VERY bad for you. And I switched over to Coke. Well I had tried several times to cut down or to give it up and every time - a stressful time would come along and I would give in to temptation. There had even been a time that I had gone for a month or so with only one per day - but I eventually went back to them. Well Sept 10th - I had my last Coke. When I went to my seminar and was able to watch the movie - "Forks over Knifes" and learned so much through my classes - I realized that I needed to take better care of my body. God gave me the strength to give them up - and without a headache! Praise the Lord!


I am drinking water - and getting in my 8 glasses - plus everyday. I am doing my best to add more exercise into my schedule. Trying to get to bed at a decent time. And I am so thankful for the changes that I have made - if you would like to read more about what I have learned be sure and checked out my series A Treasure Chest of Healthy Information starting with this post and this post would be very helpful as well.

So an update - I have lost 20 pounds so far! The weight loss is at a rate of about a pound a week, so it is not a real fast weight loss. But the good news is that I am eating good. I am enjoying what I am eating and I am doing something that I can do for the rest of my life. Not a diet - a Lifestyle! And that is what makes it work. And dependence on God. We can't forget the most important part!

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful..Lisa! Keep up the good work... high five to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Lisa.

    I am obese and also need to lose weight. I have tried many times. I know2 what I should do but just can't seem to stick to doing it.

    I'm hoping that one day the Lord will give me the strength to finally overcome all my eating vices.

    Exercise is not an alternative for me as I am in a wheelchair and not able to be active. However, I know that my diet and looking after myself better would make a big difference.

    Keep it up Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you for loving yourself in a way that will keep life vibrant

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, Lisa! You are looking good! Success on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone - Your comments mean so very much to me. God is Good and I am so thankful that I finally allowed him to take control of my life(other than the times I try to take it back over..that is..lol)
    Lisa :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa-
    You look GREAT! You have always looked nice, and have always taken care of how you dress neatly, etc., but WOW is all I can say! I'm so proud of you, and you have honestly helped me to eat healthier, just by my reading about your choices and what you are learning.

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

28: My Oil of Choice

Another installment of Breadbeckers! :O)