Friday, October 29, 2010

The Reading Corner

I am reading through the Little House Series. No - I did not read through the series as a child so I am making up for it now. It has been so much fun. I am on book 6 of the 9 books. "The Long Winter." I have been thoroughly enjoying this book. It just amazes me how the families and communities worked together through the hard times. Somewhere along the way it seems we have lost a lot of that spirit. We are so worried about ourselves that we don't even see those around us that are hurting.

I am about 2/3rds of the way done with this book and it has gotten me to the point of wanting to make time every day to read it to see what is going to happen next. I love that it takes me back to a time of more simplicity but along with that there is a lot of hardship. And as I read it helps me to appreciate my life much more. And I think if a book can do that - then it must be a very good book.

I am so glad that my husband bought me this set of books. I have enjoyed then and I am sure that my granddaughter and other grandchildren to come will really enjoy them as well.

I was just thinking that when I was a girl, I used to go to our church for a special story time in the afternoon. And it was so cool to hear a story - and then it would always be continued the next time. So I am thinking that maybe if my grandchildren don't want to read the books on their own - maybe I might have to have a story time for them. Sounds like a great idea to me. It will help them to understand our history so much more and appreciate what they have. And that is always a good thing.

As I was looking for an image of the book to put on here - I saw this photo of Laura Ingalls Wilder. It was amazing to me how much the "Laura" that the TV show had playing her really did look like her.
I hope you all have a good week end. :o)

2 comments:

  1. I love all of the Little House books! Did you know there are books about Laura's mother, Carline, whe3n she was a girl and her great grandmother, Martha? Those are good books too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! That's my second favorite book in the series. I've probably read it 30 times--I don't think that's an exageration, either. I never, ever tire of that one. Glad you're enjoying the books--I didn't read them until my late 20's. Blessings, Debra

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

20: Joseph Vision