Saturday, December 22, 2018

7 X 70=Unlimited

It has been interesting that over the past week I have heard several sermons on the topic of forgiveness.
  • in a church service I attended 
  • a sermon I heard on the radio 
  • and on a sermon I heard on TV while getting ready for the day 
What really sparked my interest in this topic and led me to dig a bit deeper was something one of the pastors said - basically 
7X70= unlimited 

As I dug deeper I understood why that is so. 

Then Peter came to Him and said, 'Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me,
 and I forgive him? Up to seven times?'" 
Matthew 18:21

"It has been suggested by some that the rabbis limited the times one should forgive another to three; on a false interpretation of Amos 1:3. Fully aware of the fact that Christ always interpreted the law in a broader sense than the scribes(see on Matthew 5:17,18), Peter here seeks to anticipate the degree of patience Christ might be expected to recommend, seven being the number generally thought of representing perfection. But to forgive a person 'seven times' and no more, would be a mechanical sort of forgiveness. Forgiveness , on the part either of God or of man, is much more than a judicial act; it is a restoration of peace where there had been conflict." SDA Commentary volume 5 pg. 448-449 

Peter understood that Jesus gave more mercy and grace and decided to go with seven since it was the number for perfection. But Jesus had an unexpected response: 

"Jesus said to him, 'I do not say to you up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven."
Matthew 18:22

"until seventy times seven ~ The Greek is somewhat ambiguous, and may mean either "seventy times seven' or 'seventy seven.' Of course, the number itself is not important being only symbolic. Either number is in harmony with the truth here taught, that forgiveness is not a matter of mathematics or legal regulation, but an attitude." pg449

Jesus wanted Peter and to those of us that followed to understand that forgiveness should not come from a legal regulation of a number of times, but from an attitude of love and mercy. 

"True forgiveness is not limited by numbers; further more, it is not the act that counts, but the spirit that prompts the act. 'Nothing can justify an unforgiving spirit.' (COL251." pg449 

I looked up these verses in my Clear Word Bible. I love how easy this version make it to understand these verses! 

"Then Peter asked Jesus, 'How many times do you think I should be willing to forgive my brother? Seven times?' 22. Jesus said, 'Peter, it is not a question of how many times, but a question of your attitude. If your attitude is right, you'll be willing to forgive him hundreds of times because you love him." 
Matthew 18:21-22 The Clear Word Bible 

Isn't that beautifully written? Now I understand why the equation is 7 X 70= unlimited 

It is the love of God in our hearts that allows us to love our fellow man and to be willing to forgive over and over if necessary. 

*Disclaimer - Just because I write about things I am learning in no ways does this mean that I have arrived. I am in process of learning and still struggle in many areas. I just enjoy coming here and sharing what I am learning. I really think it helps me to learn when I have to work at how to present what I am learning. Plus it's what I feel I am lead to do. Truth needs to be shared, not buried. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“Light Shines in the Darkness” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN - Lesson 3...

Installment #3 Be blessed :O)