Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Healthy Tidbits

Today's Healthy Tidbit comes from a book that I recently found at my favorite little thrift shop - and when the books only run 50 cents - its hard to pass up a book that looks like it might hold some useful information. If nothing else, written by someone who probably understands some of the issues and things that concern me.
"Flaxseeds, ground flaxseed meal, and flaxseed oil are a plant source of an omega-3 fatty acid (alpha-linolenic acid or ALA) that may be valuable to help fight cancer. In addition, flaxseeds, but not the oil, are the most concentrated plant source of a phytochemical called lignin that bacteria in our large bowel convert to a molecule with anti-estrogen properties which may be useful in preventing or treating tumors that are estrogen responsive. I use one to two tablespoons of ground flaxseed meal per day. The optimal amount to include in our diets to prevent or treat cancer, and which cancers is the subject of much current research."

*Disclaimer - I have not read very much of the book and not sure if I agree with everything this lady has written - I just thought that this little bit that I read looked very interesting. I also know that freshly ground Flaxseed is very good for you - adds a good amount of fiber to your diet and also helps with the cholesterol levels. I am sure there is even more good about it. But do get the seeds and grind it in a coffee grinder - because fresh is best. The stuff that you buy that is already ground goes rancid pretty quickly - so really not worth it to go that direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

20: Joseph Vision