Tuesday, December 18, 2018

A blessing to me in many different ways

One of the main things that drew me to my new Sabbath School class at my new church was the sign by the door. It was the cover of the book they were reading, "13 Weeks to Peace."
  I saw it and thought - that sounds like what I need to be reading. And as I saw a lady come out of the room - I asked her about the class. She explained to me what they were doing and invited me to join them. "Yes" I responded and went and got my stuff where I had left it. I had intended on staying in the sanctuary where they have some other Sabbath Schools- but probably not as much of an ability to get to know people as this new Sabbath School.

On Sabbath we discussed the very last chapter. And in January we will start a new book. 
So this new church and Sabbath School has given me the opportunity to read books that I might not have chosen on my own. This last books that we have read - has helped me understand what life was like back in Jesus' day. 

One little tidbit that I will share is something I have just learned last week. So the author explained that during those times it was not unusual to have people say that they were the messiah. And gather a group of people to them - and they would have plans to over throw the Roman government - because that is what a lot of people thought the Messiah would do. And it was not unusual for the Roman authorities to not only execute the so called "messiah" but also his followers. So this helps us understand why when Jesus was taken into custody why the disciples scattered- they had seen what had happened to other followers of "messiahs" and they were afraid the same thing would happen to them. 

So as you can see - when we have a better understanding of what the culture was like then we can better understand things like - why Jesus was a revolutionary man. And He really was. In those days women and children were of no value, but Jesus loved them and taught people to value them as well. 

Anyway so this weeks blessing is that I have the opportunity to read books that I might not otherwise read. Then we meet together as a class and discuss the chapter and many times learn even more in our discussions with other people's insights.

Come back next week when I will share another blessing. :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories