Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Good News for Doubting Thomas'

19That Sunday eveningb the disciples were meeting behind locked doors because they were afraid of the Jewish leaders. Suddenly, Jesus was standing there among them! “Peace be with you,” he said. 20As he spoke, he showed them the wounds in his hands and his side. They were filled with joy when they saw the Lord! 21Again he said, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I am sending you.”
John 20:19-21

24One of the twelve disciples, Thomas (nicknamed the Twin),c was not with the others when Jesus came. 25They told him, “We have seen the Lord!”
But he replied, “I won’t believe it unless I see the nail wounds in his hands, put my fingers into them, and place my hand into the wound in his side.”
26Eight days later the disciples were together again, and this time Thomas was with them. The doors were locked; but suddenly, as before, Jesus was standing among them. “Peace be with you,” he said. 27Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and look at my hands. Put your hand into the wound in my side. Don’t be faithless any longer. Believe!”
28“My Lord and my God!” Thomas exclaimed.
29Then Jesus told him, “You believe because you have seen me. Blessed are those who believe without seeing me.”
John 20:24-29

This passage in Scripture is from the New Living Translation.

This was one of those passages in the Bible that I knew and thought I understood it, but last week when I went to prayer meeting, I caught something in this story that really spoke to my heart. You see I struggle with being a doubting Thomas at times. So I could relate to his questionings.

I had understood that Thomas had doubted but I hadn't caught the part that Thomas hadn't been with the disciples the first time that Jesus appeared to them. And then we come to the amazing part of the story. The next time Jesus appears to the disciples - Jesus speaks directly to Thomas- and offers him exactly what Thomas said he needed to do before he would believe! Jesus met Thomas where he was! Then He said lovingly, without condemnation, "Don't be faithless any longer. Believe!"

This is like a balm to my soul because sometimes I find myself doubting and with little to no faith, but God meets us where we are and draws us to Himself.

verse 29 tells us "Blessed are those who believe with out seeing me" that would be you and me!

30The disciples saw Jesus do many other miraculous signs in addition to the ones recorded in this book. 31But these are written so that you may continue to believed that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing in him you will have life by the power of his name.
John 20:30-31

When we find ourselves being a doubting Thomas all we have to do is ask just like the little boys father did in Mark 9:24

24The father instantly cried out, “I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!”

Faith is one of the many gifts of God

8For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God
Ephesians 2:8 NKJV 

2Looking unto Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12:2 NKJV

And remember that Jesus loves you and will meet you where you are and supply all your needs.

It is so exciting to get something new out of verses and stories in the Bible that I thought I knew and understood! It is a good incentive to keep studying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

20: Joseph Vision