Wednesday, June 28, 2017

John 15 series...verse 4

"Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me."
John 15:4
 
As I was studying this verse - I noticed a little note in my Andrews Study Bible that I wanted to share:
"Abide~ Remain, continue, stay.
No one can snatch us out of Jesus' hand, but we are free to leave if we wish."
 
Isn't that a beautiful thought- "No one can snatch us out of Jesus' hand"
 
The entry in the SDA Commentary for this verse helps us better understand this verse:
 
A continuous abiding in a living connection with Christ is essential for growth and fruitfulness. Occasional attention to matters of religion is not sufficient. Riding high on a wave of religious fever one day, only to fall low into a period of neglect the next, does not promote spiritual strength. To abide in Christ means that the soul must be in daily, constant communion with Jesus Christ and must live His life(Galatians 2:20). It is not possible for one branch to depend upon another for its vitality; each must maintain its own personal relationship to the vine. Each member must bear its own fruit."
 
Let's look at what Galatians 2:20 says:
"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
 
"For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus; that if One died for all, then all died; (15) and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again."
I Corinthians 5:14-15
 
I love a little note in my Andrew's Study Bible for "all died~ However, everyone has the potential for a new life." And all because Christ was willing to leave Heaven and come down to this sinful world and die on the cross for our sins. What a powerful incentive to help drive our desire for a personal relationship with Him- the daily relationship that will keep us connected to the vine, which will lead to the production of fruit through the power of the Holy Spirit.
 
"'Herein is My Father glorified,' said Jesus, 'that ye bear much fruit.' God desires to mainifest through you the holiness, the benevolence, the compassion, of His own character. Yet the Saviour does not bid the disciples labor to bear fruit. He tells them to abide in Him....
 It is through the word that Christ abides in His followers. This is the same vital union that is represented by eating His flesh and drinking His blood. The words of Christ are spirit and life. Receiving them, you receive the life of the Vine. You live "by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Matt. 4:4. The life of Christ in you produces the same fruits as in Him. Living in Christ, adhering to Christ, supported by Christ, drawing nourishment from Christ, you bear fruit after the similitude of Christ." Desire of Ages, page 677
 
(if you are interested in reading the chapter that this quote was borrowed from - click on the link above. It is the chapter called ~  "Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled"
******************************************************
 
We will be taking a break from most regular postings on my blog during the month of July since I will be busy - so hopefully we will resume this study in August. See ya then. :O)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories