Friday, June 16, 2017

The Attitude of Gratitude....series

 

"A grateful heart will be revealed and expressed by thankful words, while an unthankful heart will manifest itself in murmuring and complaining."

 

A grateful spirit is what enables people to view and respond to the most painful circumstances in life with thanksgiving. As one person observed, "Some people complain because God put thorns on roses, while others praise Him for putting roses among thorns."
 
Again, thankful believers from the past have much to teach us in this matter.
 
Matthew Henry, the well-known commentator of the 19th century, was once accosted by robbers. Reflecting on the experience, he wrote in his diary.
 
Let us be thankful, first, because I was never robbed before; second, because although they took my purse, they did not take my life; third, because, although they took my all, it was not much; and fourth, because it was I who was robbed, not I who robbed!
 
 
David Brainerd, that devoted missionary to the American Indians, who died before the age of 30, was characterized by a thankful spirit that enabled him to count his blessings in the direst of difficulties. On one occasion, while visiting friends, he suddenly developed a toothache and a shivering cold. During the night, he was attacked by a high fever and great pain throughout his body. Yet he thanked God that this distress had fallen upon him while he was among friends, rather than alone in the wilderness.
 
Another time while ill in his little hut and suffering severe pain, he again found grounds for gratitude. He penned in his diary, "Blessed be the Lord, I am not exposed in the open air. I have a house and many comforts to support me."
 
On yet another occasion, when facing long weeks of solitude, forging through swamps, on rocky terrain, through dark nights, and cut off from all human companionship, he exclaimed, "What reason for thankfulness have I on account of this retirement." He explained that contact with people afforded him the friendship and companionship of the world but loneliness drove him to experience intimate fellowship with the Lord.
****************************************
When we face difficult times - let us try to find things to be grateful for. :O)
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

28: My Oil of Choice

Another installment of Breadbeckers! :O)