Monday, June 12, 2017

Brain Health

During Camp Meeting they had a seminar on brain health. I took some notes and thought I would share a few things that I learned. Also during the month of July I am thinking of doing a Brain Health Enabler series- we shall see.
So first we will look at Water. Water is very important for our brains. In the seminar, I learned that sometimes when we get headaches - if we will go get a drink of water our head ache will go away. The head ache was caused from being dehydrated and then instead of the brain floating around like it should it may have caused pain instead. 
Another little tidbit - I had not heard this before. Gatorade(and things like it I am sure) dehydrate you. I am not a big Gatorade drinker- in fact I hardly ever drink the stuff. If this does not seem true- do some research - I haven't - I am just passing on what I heard.  

Light- We need light - morning light is very good for us. If possible get some bright light by 7am.  When we are exposed to early morning light it helps get us on the circadian rhythm. So a great thing to do is to open up your shades and blind in the early morning to let the light into you house and into your eyes. If you are able, go outside and let that sunlight into your eyes. Being outside will help with several other aspects of brain health.

Working in the garden or in your yard between 10-2 helps you get your Vit D. And when you are working out side - it is more benefit to you.

Exercise - Exercise before your breakfast for brain health. When you exercise you are building serotonin. And an added bonus when you exercise on an empty stomach - you will burn fat. Exercising also brings the LDL levels down.
We were told that when we walk that it is best not to have earphones - something about them in our ears doesn't allow us all the benefits as we would get without them. It is best to be able to hear the birds sing and nature around us. God can speak to us when we are out in nature - it's like a second book - to us to show His love.

Sleep- The hours before midnight are worth more than the hours after midnight. So try to get to bed earlier. Having a schedule of going to bed earlier is better for you.

Deep Breathing - It is very good for you get some deep breathing done - outside in the mornings- you can go on a walk and get the deep breathing along with the sunlight and deep breathing. And the best way to walk is to listen to nature while you walk. It is good to practice deep breathing - deeply breath in for 5 seconds and then exhale for 5 seconds with tongue behind your teeth.

Music- classical music is best music for brain health.

They also suggested that we try to get ground flaxseed or chia seeds every day so we can get the tryptophan and Omega3 needed for brain health. One suggestion is to put 2-3 T. of Chia seed in a glass of Juicy Juice. Another suggestion was just to add some chia seeds to cold water and let it set for a bit and then drink it. You can sprinkle the ground flaxseed on yogurt or oatmeal. Or add to salads. Experiment and see what works best for you.

Thinking Positively- when we think negative thoughts we actually can create ruts in our brains. When you start to think something negatively - stop yourself and see how you could restate it into a positive - or turn your thoughts to something positive. Praising God is always a great activity or reciting Bible verses. Just remember negative thoughts can cause holes in the brain - do we want holes? No- then lets choose to think positive thoughts.

Reading our Bibles is great for brain health. In fact, one thing that I have heard from several different sources is that it is good to get into the habit of reading one chapter of Proverbs every day -so on the first of the month start with Proverbs one and on the second - chapter two and so forth. I have to admit this is not something that I do. But I do think it would be a good habit to get into.

So if everything works out for the month of July - I would like us - you and me- to read through Proverbs together. A friend once did a study on Psalms and she went into greater depth about certain verses- I don't know if I will be able to do that but I want to at least have us read Proverbs together.

For brain health - you want the best of everything - the best food, exercise, light, air, sunshine, and rest.

"Nothing tends more to promote health of body and of soul than does a spirit of gratitude and praise." MH251

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories