Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Not to Get, but to Give

Wednesday morning I had my appointment with the urologist that basically opened a can of worms. After I left the appointment I decided to stop by a thrift store that usually has some great finds. The neighborhood that this store is in - is a little rough and one that I would not go to after dark unless someone was with me.
 
So I looked through stuff and tried on about 6-8 things- did not find anything at all. This in itself was unusual. Usually I find at least one item that I just can't pass up.
 
As I approached my car as I was leaving the thrift store I heard a man say, "Excuse me Ma'am." I stopped and walked to the back of my car to see what he wanted. He began to tell me that he had recently gotten out of prison and had just finished eating a bag of Cheetos and a coke for lunch. You could still see the remains of Cheetos in his teeth.
 
In my pocket I had a few different bills and because I did not want to bring the money I had out of my pocket, I prayed that God would direct my hand to what ever amount that He wanted me to give this man. As I handed the man a twenty. He was stunned and said, "Are you sure, Ma'am?"
 I told him, "Yes, God bless you."
 
The man continues to tell me that he had been studying the Bible while he was in prison.
 
We ended our conversation and I walked to my car door, as he walked away he says, "Lady, I love you." And without skipping a beat, I said, "I love you, too." In my mind I thought in Christ I DO love you.
 
Sometimes when I go to thrift shops, I find something really special and I know that this was the reason why I came to that thrift store. Well as I left the thrift shop this day - I knew that the reason I had come to this thrift store was not to get something, but to give.
 
Later that day as I was sitting at my computer- all of a sudden the thought comes to my mind that in the "I love you" from a stranger was really an "I love you" from God. Just when I needed to hear an I love you. I had just come from my appointment in which I had found out I would have to have 3 procedures added to my  next week- on top of my port removal surgery. I truly needed encouragement. And God used a man~ who was down on his luck to bless me. And to reassure me of His love for me.
 
    Let brotherly love continue.
            2 Do not forget to entertain strangers,
for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.   
Hebrews 13:1-2
 
One of the reasons it has taken me to along to write this out is because I really do not like sharing - when I do things to bless others. I try to live by Matthew 6:3-4
 
    But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.
 
But I felt led to share this story- not to highlight what I did- but to put the spotlight on what God did!
 
When we allow God to guide and direct our lives we can be more of a blessing to others and in turn they can be a blessing to us.
 
  

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Amazing how in helping others we often are so much more blessed ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You created tears in my eyes. :) I am beyond blessed to know you. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. I am praying for you my sweet friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just reliving the story made me cry. Thanks for the prayers! :O)

      Delete
  3. Oh lisa...I just put my mascara on as I am about to go to my doctor appointment, and now I think it is running down my cheeks!
    I had a similar experience a little over a year ago, and there is nothing that feels better than to follow what God puts in your heart to do...especially when it is outside of our comfort zone...What a blessing you gave and what a blessing you received!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - It made me cry just typing out the story. That is neat that you too have experienced this. It will be a story and memory that I will treasure. :O)

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this moving experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann ~ I am glad that this story blessed you. Praying that all is going well with you and your family. :O)

      Delete
  5. What a lovely story. Bless you and thanks for sharing. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“The Central Issue: Love or Selfishness?” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN...

Sorry I missed posting last week. Here is the 2nd lesson in this series. I am hoping it blesses you! :O)