Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Don't just watch pricing...

Ok - Well I learned another lesson in saving money and I wanted to share it with you all to remind you of this lesson I learned. This is a lesson that I have realized and should have checked out. Anyway learning now is better then never, even if I should have already known.
 
When comparing prices- be sure to compare sizes of the product as well.
 
I had been paying $4.98 for my good popcorn from Walmart.
When I found what I thought was the exact same product at HEB for $4.78 a 20 cent savings, I jumped on the deal! I am so happy with myself.........
 
Until this past Friday when my husband went to Walmart to pick up some things that we needed. Popcorn had been on the list and so I reluctantly thought it would be ok to get a bottle of it - even if we had to pay more for it.
 
When he got home - we realized that the bottle from Walmart - the bottle that was $.20 more- was in fact - 15 ounces more popcorn!!!
 
Yes- the LARGE bottle on the right was Walmart's bottle of popcorn- costing 20 cents more.
Once you realize you are getting 15 ounces more of popcorn - that 20 cents doesn't look so bad.
 
I had thought that I was saving us money by getting our popcorn at HEB, in fact I was paying about $2.18 more for my popcorn by buying it as HEB.
 
So when you are comparing prices - be sure to take in consideration the amount of ounces or pounds. I think a lot of products are doing this kind of thing lately so it is best to be on guard all the time. Watch for shrinking sizes and soaring prices.
 
Sometimes getting the bigger size is the better deal- like with this popcorn but not all the time.
 
Sometimes we need to relearn lessons we thought we already knew. And that is ok - at least we are open to learning.

I am so thankful that my husband went ahead and bought that bottle of popcorn - I don't know how long it would have taken for me to have figured it out.

I have been pre-occupied lately. I am really going to try to get back to being a better steward of the money my husband works so hard for.
 
And by the way - we have noticed a big difference in the amount of popcorn that is popped and the better quality of popcorn - when we use this more expensive popcorn. Sometimes cheaper is not always better. Another important lesson. :)
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this advice. I love money-saving tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome! I really am glad that we finally figured this out- I had known that it was something important to watch but I have been so distracted the past couple of months. Hoping to be able to do a better job focusing on the important things now. Lisa :O)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

20: Joseph Vision