Monday, December 2, 2013

Fat is a Feeling too

Photo

I think I have already written about this once before but I had something remind me of this again recently and wanted to share.

I am two weeks post surgery. I am actually feeling pretty good, but I was feeling down just a few days ago- do you want to know why?

At the end of August - I decided to give up caffeine(which by the way was a good choice and I will explain later in this post) Anyway - I have also cut my soda's way down. I limit myself to one a day if I have one. Well I also started walking. Well in the 3 months since then I have lost right at 12 pounds. At the beginning of all this I had measured myself and then had measured myself about 1 month before surgery. Well last week I had went to look in my little booklet at my measurements. Well when I looked at it the first time - and then I measured my waist and it looked like I was about 4 inches up on my waist measurement. That discouraged me so very much. And it did not help that when we went to my Mother in laws for Christmas- my sister in law that had stomach surgery about 1 year and 8 months ago- had lost a total of 180 pound. Well the next day I measured myself again. And I thought- I want to go look at my measurements and see what the exact damage since surgery is. Well lo and behold - I had looked at the wrong page and come to find out - I only am up 1/2 inch or so on my waist - which is very understandable when you think of the incisions and the damage done down under the skin.

Once I realized that I was only up 1/2 inch and I have held steady the 12 pounds lost - my whole attitude changed! I no longer feel so fat. Sometimes we can feel fat by outside circumstances- by what we see on TV, by media, by other people and their actions or words. But we need to always go by the true facts. The true facts  - like our true value does NOT come from our size- but comes from the fact that we are a child of God. And I am glad that the fact that I thought were true - the measurements were the wrong measurements. And that the truth was that I was only up a little bit. But what I am truly thankful for is the reminder from God that I can not base my value on those physical facts, but I need to base my value on the value that God has placed on me. This is something that I struggle with - and I am sure that there are many others out there that struggle with this too. I hope that we will all learn to keep our focus on Jesus Christ and the value that He has placed on us. The great value - that caused Him to die on the cross for us - because He loved us and valued us so very much.

******************************************************

Ok - I said I would explain why giving up caffeine had been a good idea. I have heard that caffeine causes hot flashes to be worse- so I am very glad now that I have up the caffeine. I just love it when I can see God working in my life. For example long before I knew I would have to have surgery - God inspired me to finally - once and for all...to give up caffeine

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa! Happy Belated Thanksgiving! So glad you are doing well.
    I really get into the trap of valuing myself depending on how much I weigh and what I eat. Yuk. It stinks! It's so much better to see me as God sees me. Still have to be healthy, but not wrapped up on the outer things. So true!

    Congrats on quitting the caffeine too :)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceil~ You are so right - work towards being healthy but don't get wrapped up in the outer stuff.
      Lisa :O)

      Delete
  2. How neat to have already gone through the work to give up caffeine before the surgery and all the recovery from that hit! Just those little, daily choices make such a big difference. Good for you for losing those twelve pounds!

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“The Central Issue: Love or Selfishness?” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN...

Sorry I missed posting last week. Here is the 2nd lesson in this series. I am hoping it blesses you! :O)