Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Effects of Divorce - years later....

Divorce hurts everyone involved. It really does. If you have not had experience with divorce, I am  happy for you and I hope you never have to deal with it or the ripple effects of one. I am a child of a divorce and now my son has gone through it. And what is very sad is that sometimes the situations that arise with my son's situation - bring up painful memories of what I went through.

Yesterday we had to take SweetPea back to her Mom. When we got to where Lauri - (the ex) lives - there were 2 Uhauls there. She has been living with her parents. Well apparently she- Lauri is moving to her own apartment and the parents are moving else where. I hated that my sweet granddaughter had to go back during a period of unrest for her Mom and Grandparents. When we found out that Lauri was moving into her own apartment - it brought up buried memories and along with those emotions....sadness and fear to name a couple- that I could put a finger on and explain. Some I can't explain.

My parents got a divorce when I was 11-12 years old. We had lived in the little town of Pecos Texas - after the divorce we moved to Oklahoma City- to an apartment. During the time living at these apartments some of the scariest things happened to me. Because my Mom was a teacher and had to work- my sister and I had to take care of more things around our home- Many times getting groceries was my responsibility. The grocery store was across a busy street. One day when I went to get groceries a man flashed me- it scared me so much and since I did not get a good look at his face - I was afraid that since I just lived across the street that he could find out where I lived. Another time going to this same grocery store a man approached me and told me how pretty I looked and asked me if I wanted to go for a ride with him and have a good time. That is scary to a little girl.

Another scary thing happened during this time period. I was sleeping on the floor in my Mother's room. I woke up to see a man trying to crawl into the window. Thankfully my Mom was home - but she was calling the police and so she had pulled the phone as far into the room as she could and was trying to get the guy to leave by hitting him with the blinds - while telling the police what was going on and where we were. The man got away- but we had a hard time feeling safe just knowing how close he got to getting into our place.

There were other incidents that were scary, but I won't bore you with them all. Needless to say, last night I had a hard time getting to sleep. I cried. Cried because I am afraid for my granddaughter. I have no idea who will take care of her- when Lauri lived with her Mom and Dad - I at least felt that there was more security for SweetPea - but now - I don't know. I have had to pray about it and trust that God is in control and that He will take care of our sweet granddaughter.

I saw something in my devotions this morning that I thought I would share - it really helped me out this morning.
 
"You can trust the Man that died for you."
(Streams in the Desert- for today's date)
 
Doesn't that speak volumes?!

3 comments:

  1. Ouch. Painful memories. I will keep 'lil SweetPea in my prayers. Such a hard path on this earth! Thoughts and prayers for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true, I come from a divorced family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies - I know both of you ladies have had your share of painful memories. Glad we get to travel along this journey together. :O)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

29: My Favorite Fats for Baking