Wednesday, July 1, 2020

An Exciting Project

Some exciting things happened this week end. Today I will share with you one of the awesome projects that we worked on! It is something that just came up quickly really. I had been watching a homestead youtuber and had really liked how she had extra food storage in her home. Then when I went to mow a few days later I noticed a metal shelving unit out near our mower shed. I brought it up to the house and started dreaming about what I could do with it. You see I had to figure out where I would put it. I knew the room I wanted to put it into but I had to figure out what we would need to get rid of and how we would arrange things to make it work. Well just a couple of days later - with very little money spent we had a great set up. 

First let me share with you how my metal shelving unit looked when I first brought it up to the house: 
It wasn't very pretty at all. And it had a lot of dirt and spider webs on it. Luckily we had an air compressor in the garage and I worked on blowing all the dirt and webs off of the unit for quite some time. We got a couple of bottles of spray paint and after I cleaned this up and we did some grinding of the shelving unit, my husband painted it for me. It turned out great!!! 
Here it is in my sun room. I am so very pleased with the way it turned out. I went to Dollar General and I bought 2 rolls up some rubbery shelf liner stuff for the bottom to shelves. The other shelves we will be using the cardboard boxes which help me to line 4 like items in each row. I am able to pull the cardboard box out to get stuff easily off of the shelf. I am not done with getting everything for the shelving unit but that is the way it is when you are food prepping. You slowly build up your supply.
I have always kept a decent amount of food - you never know when you will need to prepare a big family meal and it is better to make sure you have things on hand than to struggling to make a meal. 

When you look around with all the things going on in the world you realize that it is important to have a good supply of things at your home. You all remember the toilet paper shortage we had not too long ago- believe it or not a friend of mine posted on facebook earlier today that HEB and the Dollar General she went to today were totally out of toilet paper! Really? Well  can you blame people? The news is hyping up how there are SO many new cases and I am sure many people are pushing for another shut down - even though if they are worried they can themselves decide to stay home. They don't need to have the whole world shut down because they are afraid. Anyway enough about that.

I will try to share a neat little video about food prepping where she tells of a book - that is a great resource to those who would like to work towards have a little extra food and supplies at their homes. In these troubling times, when we just don't know what to expect from day to day- it is a good time to be prepared.  I will also share a great blog that talks about prepping. I know there area  a lot of different sites out there but these two ladies have such nice kind hearts and are such a blessing to read and watch.  Come back tomorrow for the youtube video. In these troubling times it is so nice to listen to this lady talk and to see her lovely homestead. 

So as you can see we got some great projects done this week end. I had a nice secretary roll top desk - I had always wanted a roll top desk but then once I set up my desk at the window with the great view of my back yard - I lost interest in the roll top. I would much rather look outside. So we got rid of our roll top desk. I am so happy how this project came together. And I am so thankful for the ladies who have taken their time and effort to share what they are doing and for encouraging me along the way. This shelf will be my store. When things get low in my pantry-I will pull things off of this shelf. This way it will be easier to use the older things first and then replace with the newer things. This will help prevent things from going out of date because of putting new things in front of the older things and forgetting to rotate.

See you all tomorrow :O) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)