Thursday, January 1, 2015

What Changes a Year Can Bring

My husband and I spent New Year's Eve at home, like we usually do. I started a puzzle for us to work on and was very proud of myself for getting all the outer pieces put together. Usually I get frustrated and end up asking my husband to finish it for me. So he and I worked on the puzzle - flipping around a few different channels that had New Year's Eve specials going on. Then we went to the computer so that he could Youtube some of his favorite songs. As we sat there I felt happy and content. And I marveled at how wonderful it felt to feel so peaceful and my mind wandered back to last year and innocently questions why I hadn't felt this good last year. Then it dawned on me- 1 year ago I was recovering from my hysterectomy and from having the port put in and just 3 days I would be facing my first chemo session. No wonder I was not at peace. I continued to think of all that had been faced in 2014 and was reminded at the fact that God had been there every step of the way. He had been faithful to His promise "As are your days, so shall your strength be." Deut. 33:25b And many other promises. This is not to say that it was an easy year- it's to say that even though it was a very challenging year God supplied the strength and courage and so much more..in many different ways. And as I paid attention to them, God brought many blessings to me here and there to help substain me. He used many different ways. The love and support of family and friends. Kind gestures of cards, flowers and even some ginger ale sent to me to get me through. Friends shared special songs with me that reminded them of me- Overcomer by Mandisa becoming a favorite of mine. Phone calls from friends and even a couple from church who really didn't even really know me but wanted to let me know that they were praying for me and shared verses with me. Many hugs and care from my church family. I actually could see the hands and feet of Jesus at work. And it has encouraged me to strive to better be used by God to help my fellow man.

I have also learned the ways in which I can help others who have just went through surgeries and have limitations on what they can do around their homes. In these ways I can be the hands and feet of Jesus.

So although 2014 was a tough year - it has taught me so very much. It has opened my eyes to the importance of allowing God to use you to bless others. And so this will be something that I will strive to do in 2015 and beyond.

A special Thank You to each of you who have encouraged me and helped me through this last year. I look forward to this new year and the blessing that it will bring to you and me both! :O)

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you and your husband had a peaceful and loving New Year's Eve. Being in the presence of those we love and trust is so good for our hearts.
    Oh how I wish we lived close to each other. Your strength and love for the Lord is so contagious. You went through a whole heap of things in 2014 and, yet, you continue to place your eyes and Jesus and share His love with others. Your heart always encourages me to love boldly. You are a true treasure and blessing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always stay home New Years eve too. This year we did not even try to stay awake for the New Year to unfold though...It was a long and busy week.
    I was so happy to see the end of 2014, but I hope never to forget the many lessons that I learned throughout that very difficult year!
    Especially the way the Lord provided everything needed to get through...And how I better appreciate the wonderful people in my life who were there for me too.
    I think we were both given a special gift...and now it is time to give comfort and hope to others in a way that we could not before...at least not with the same degree of understanding that we have now.
    Blessings <3 Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

33: The Way to Captivity