Friday, January 16, 2015

Want to Raise Your Happiness Level? part 2

Today I wanted to share one more pointer on how to raise your happiness level. Now onto what Mike Jones had to say in his book ~"Sometimes I Don't Feel Like Praying!"
 
****************************************************************************
Focus on the vertical if you want to be happy.

We get out of balance and go sideways when we don't look up. Diane has a longtime friend who is chronically unhappy. She is totally focused on herself and on the horizontal. She resists Diane's attempts to point her to the vertical- the Lord- and prefers to talk about suicide or about committing herself to a mental institution.

Philippians 4:8-9 offers this good advice: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things....And he God of peace will be with you."

Focusing on the horizontal can drive us crazy. When I first started writing this book, the horizontal told me that I had significant health issues, a large tax bill I couldn't pay, and concerns over a son who was departing for a year in Afghanistan, leaving behind a wife and two young children.

Even now, the horizontal reminds me that Diane and I may have to sell our home and downsize, that a family member who refuses to quite smoking may have a life-threatening illness, and that our beautiful view of a tree nursery with Mount Hood as a backdrop may soon be lost to a housing development. I can go crazy if I focus on the horizontal. (By the way, many months have passed since I wrote the preceding sentences, and none of those things has occurred. Even my son who went to Afghanistan has now returned safely.)

So what does focusing on the vertical do for me? It tells me that I'm in a war, but that God is in charge, and that's enough.

Focusing on the vertical tells me that I've been saved for eternity through the blood of Jesus Christ, who died for my sins and who calls me one of His friends. Focusing on the vertical tells me that I don't need to sweat the small stuff- and everything is "small stuff" as long as I'm Jesus' friend.

Focusing on the vertical reminds me that someday I will sit with Jesus on His throne(see Revelation 3:21), assisting Him in the administration of the universe. (4) In light of all that lies ahead for us, the horizontal doesn't really matter all that much- not even if we die.

So be happy! Focus on the vertical, and let the Lord take care of the horizontal. He's up to it.

(4.) " 'He will put him in charge of all his possessions' " (Luke 12:44)
**************************************************************************

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa and MIke! I remember being taught that when I make the Sign of the Cross, it should remind me of the balance of living on earth, and longing for heaven.
    I know I have to pay some attention to the 'horizontal' but it has to be balanced with knowing where I really belong (with God in heaven) and where I'm supposed to be headed.
    Great visual Mike!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

20: Joseph Vision