Friday, September 27, 2013

Sermon on the Mount....series..The Beatitudes

Sermon on the Mount

 

The Beatitudes

part 1

Many people had been misled by the teaching of the priest and rabbis and were under the understanding that Jesus' mission was to set up an earthly kingdom. How very far from the truth this was! (Even today there are many false understandings of what the scriptures teach). Even the disciples were under the false belief, but Jesus saw something in them that made Him realize that they were open to his teaching and He could train them for His great work.

People were drawn to Jesus. And He decided on this particular day, He would help them better understand His mission. Which would help His followers better understand their mission as well.

 Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying:
             3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  
  Matthew 5:2-3
 
He began His sermon with "Blessed are the poor in Spirit..." because many in Jesus's day believed themselves to be holy and righteous. And when you feel holy and righteous on your own- you feel no need for a Saviour. And this is a dangerous place to be.
 
    The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men--extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.'   
Luke 18:11-12
 
Luke 18:11-12 gives us a prime example of being on this very dangerous ground.
 
And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!'   
Luke 18:13
 
The tax collector realized that on his own he was sinful and in need of a Saviour. This man truly understood what it mean to be poor in spirit.
 
    I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
Luke 18:14
 
      Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing'--and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked-- 18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne. 22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." ' "    
Revelation 3:17-18  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

28: My Oil of Choice

Another installment of Breadbeckers! :O)