Friday, September 6, 2013

Drawing Nigh to God ....last devotion of series



Drawing Nigh to God

by
Minnie E. Dauphinee
 

Eternal Life for You.....Do You Often Think of Home?

A certain minister during a holiday season had many callers at him home. He greeted each with a cheery "Come right in, I'm glad to see you." Then one morning when his little four-year-old son appeared for breakfast, the father greeted him, "Good morning, Tom; I'm glad to see you." Not wanting to be treated like an outsider, the little fellow looked up in surprise and said, "Don't say, 'I'm glad to see you.' I belong here. This is my home."
 
One of the sweetest, dearest words known is home. Home, the place where Father, Mother, son, and daughter live. Home, the place where Jesus abides, for no home is complete without His presence. Even in this world of sin and sorrow, a Christian home is a hallowed place. The absorbing interest of the family is centered there.
 
How much deeper should be our interest in that future home where all who accept God's plan for their lives will live throughout eternity!
 
" 'We're going to move,' my neighbor called
Over the fence to me;
'We've found the very nicest house
You'd ever want to see!
There's a fireplace--yes, even two-
And the very coziest nooks!
There's a garden space, and everything-
Just like the picture books!'
 
"And I thought, as I watched her happiness
For the home so newly planned,
Of the mansion God is building me
Up in the Promised Land.
And I wonder if I am awaiting
Heaven as eagerly
As my neighbor awaits her earthly home
Over the fence from me. "
_Mildred C. Wood
 
In that home in the Promised Land that the redeemed will recognize their loved ones of earth
(1 Corinthians 13:12) and enjoy their companionship. Ellen G. White has pictured the social life of the redeemed in these words: "The loves and sympathies which God Himself has planted in the soul shall there find truest and sweetest exercise. The pure communion with holy beings, the harmonious social life with the blessed angels and with the faithful ones of all ages...the sacred ties that bind together 'the whole family in heaven and earth' (Ephesians 3:15)- these help to constitute the happiness of the redeemed."
 
What enjoyment it will be to visit with our guardian angel, who watched our steps and protected us throughout our life on earth!
 
No language can describe the beauty of heaven. Our highest imagination can not picture a city with walls of jasper, gates of pearl, and streets of gold. all lighted by the glory of God, brighter than the sun shining "sevenfold strong' (Isaiah 30:26, Moffatt; see Revelations 21:23). Yet the chief attraction of the heavenly home is not its glorious beauty or its "harmonious social life." The chief attraction is Jesus, the One "altogether lovely," who gave His life for us. There could be no higher and greater joy than to have fellowship with Him throughout eternity.
 
When the redeemed enter their heavenly home, the New Jerusalem, Jesus Himself will welcome them, not as strangers, but as "sons and daughters" (2 Corinthians 6:18). They "shall go no more out," for they belong there. With unspeakable joy they behold the beautiful mansions prepared for them (John 14:1,2), and, in addition, all that infinite love and divine wisdom could conceive for a perfect home and complete happiness. All who in this world live the God planned life will enjoy this beautiful home.
*************************************
 
 This is our last devotional. There is a poem that ends the book called "I Often Think of Home." I will share that on Sunday. I think I have another series I am going to do - it is a quilting devotional book. I hope it blesses you all as much as this book has blessed me.
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, that word "home"! For someone like me who is in the middle of moving and still searching for just the right place, that word nearly brings tears to my eyes. And to think--Jesus plans the home for me here, but even a better one in heaven!

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

26: The Facts About Fats - Part 1