Tuesday, September 3, 2013

"Florals" or "Neutrals" That is the Question


Good afternoon friends~ I hope you have all had a great day. Mine has gone pretty good, mostly. I was thrilled when I found olives at Aldi's for just 99 cents a can! Yep - that is a good deal. Walmart has them for 1.28 and that was the cheapest ones we had found lately. HEB had them for 98 cents a can for a while but increased the price to higher than what Walmart was charging. I was also thrilled when I saw the 4 pound bags of sugar for 1.09 a bag(limit 4) still. Flour - 95 cents- 1.64 was the cheapest price for flour at a store other than Aldi's - Aldi's usually run their flour for 1.28- which compared to the 1.64 is a good deal. Can you tell that I love to find good deals. They also had their family packs of skinless, boneless chicken 1/2 off - so less it ended up being about 94 cents a pound or so- I have gotten the skinless, boneless chicken for 1.49 a pound - at Albertsons ever so often but that is the best deal I have found for them in a LONG time. I bought 2 packages - and froze them. I would have bought more if we had more money but things have been tight. My son's hours have not increased yet - so we have been paying his vehicle payment -every two weeks for a while and sometimes have to come up with money to pay his water bill too. Or help with gas. He just hit his three month time period at his job so we are SO hoping that it will be soon that he gets increased hours.
Things have been tight but God has provided. And I am so very thankful.

I am disappointed that butter is so much more expensive than margarine. I have noticed that when making cookies, when I use margarine that they are not turning out like they should. A friend says she uses unsalted butter - so that is what I did today and I was very pleased with the out come. It is unfortunate that the unsalted butter is like about 3 times higher in price. I am going to have to see if butter freezes and if it does hope for some sales on it and try to stock up. Any of you ladies know if butter can be frozen and still work well? I used to freeze my margarine so I am kind of guessing that butter will too.

I have a pile high of sewing projects - well I am talking about sewing on a couple of buttons, hemming a couple of pairs of pants, and  taking up a dress. My sister gave me a dress but it is a bit too big and looks a bit sloppy- so I am hoping to be able to figure out how to take it up a little to make it look nicer. My only problem with getting this pile done is that my son has been working 12 hour shifts over night and so he gets home about 6:30am - and then goes to sleep - so I can't really go into my sewing room and work while he is trying to sleep. My sewing room is right next door. I just don't want to bother him that much. It is hard enough for him to sleep during the day as it is. Anyway I am hoping that I can work my schedule tomorrow that once he wakes up I can get in there and get busy. Oh on top of those things - I have 4 things that need to be ironed. And I also have a few quilting blocks that need to be made. This is my last month of this years BOM. So I'd really like to finish up the 2 for this month and then catch up on the other 2 that I am behind.

October will begin the new Block of the Month year - and I will only be doing one of the blocks. I just can't justify spending the extra money on the second one when things have been so tight. I am hoping to add a photo to this post to show you the options that I had for this year.

Please keep in mind that my camera for some reason is not taking very clear photos any more. Wish I could figure out what the problem is. So any way  - these blocks are much prettier than what they appear to be.

These next two photos are the fabrics that they have as some border fabric for the quilts - if you choose to use them. And these are the fabric which inspires the blocks.

This first one is called "Florals"
























This one is called "Neutrals"


 See ya soon. :O)

1 comment:

  1. Praying for more hours for your son. Glad you found some good deals.

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories