Friday, February 24, 2012

Choosing to be More Thrifty

Well after reading about people making their own laundry detergent - I decided I would finally try it. About 6-8 months ago I had bought the Fels naptha soap and a box of borax. The store did not have any washing soda - so I waited. Well this past Friday when I went to the store - I looked for some washing soda- they were out. Shoot... Well I decided that I would at least start getting the soap ready -so I grated the bar of soap. I have a question for anyone who uses the Fels naptha - is it yellow? I had seen someones picture post about making soap and their soap flakes were white - I am guessing that they were using Ivory soap but I thought I would ask just in case my bar of soap might have just changed colors over the time period of sitting in my cabinet.
When I was grating the soap - I notice it was pretty hard soap -so my question is -is it normally hard or is this maybe another thing that happened while sitting in the cabinet?

Right now I have my soap grated in a bowl along with some borax. This week I will be buying the washing soda! I am looking forward to trying the soap and seeing how it works. I am also thankful to have options to be able to make my own and therefore save some money. Once your initial investment of the products - it actually will last a long time - since you just use one cup of borax and one cup of washing soda - and the boxes are pretty big for just about $3.00 per box.

I have also decided not to do laundry as often. I had gotten into the habit of washing my clothes too often. Not waiting till there was a good sized load. We have large capacity - well probably extra large capacity washer and dryer. So that is another change that I have decided to make around here. I don't think it is a good idea to wait all week long and have many, many loads on one day but I do think it is a good idea to wait till you have a good sized load before you do laundry.

Some people may prefer to wait and do all their laundry all on one day - and that is fine if it works for you. I just prefer not to. When I have done it that way, it is just a pain trying to match up all of the sock and such. I am thinking that it will work out that I will do my laundry 2 times a week. But we will see.


There is an important thing to remember having to do with your dryer. It is a good idea to clean your lint catcher(can't think of anything else to call it at the moment) the thing that you pull out of your dryer to take the lint off, after each load. I believe it will help the dryer to work a lot more efficiently and will also help prevent fires. Lots of stuff gets stuck in those little tiny holes and it is actually a good idea to wash them periodically. And also - just in case you haven't figured it out - it is also best to remove the lint after each use. I am sure you all know that but just wanted to add it - just in case.


Well that's about it for today. Looking forward to what other changes I can make around here. What ideas do you have? :o)

1 comment:

  1. Would love to know how your soap-making experiment turns out. I have read about doing this, but have never done it myself. Would love to know how it works for you, and if it really seems to be cheaper in the long run. I have a front loader, so would have to adjust the amount I use down because they use very little soap.

    Also, on washing, what has worked out the best for me is to wash my whites on one day, lights another, darks another, towels another, and then sheets another. So I am washing every day, but each "type" of laundry is just getting washed once per week. And of course, if you have something that you missed it's day for and you really need it, you can often add it in to on of the other loads. I will add in "darks" to my towel load if there are some jeans or something that someone really needs washed because most of my towels are dark. Or I can add in something "light" with my sheet load if I need to. Anyway, organizing laundry this way has worked SO much better for me! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“The Central Issue: Love or Selfishness?” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN...

Sorry I missed posting last week. Here is the 2nd lesson in this series. I am hoping it blesses you! :O)