Monday, February 27, 2012

Home Made Laundry Detergent and Other Thing

I shared on Friday how I had bought most of the supplies to make homemade laundry detergent. Well I was able to find the Arm and Hammer Washing Soda and so I finished up my soap. On Friday when I did laundry I used my new home made soap and I have to say I was very pleased with it. I used a old large spoon - not a serving spoon but more like a tablespoon sized spoon - don't think it actually dips out a tablespoon of stuff though. I am using 2 of those spoons of the soap per load. I do have a front loader washer. I had read that it is good to use about 1 - 2 T. per load. And if it is a large load or heavily soiled you'd want to use the 2 T. or a bit more. The next time I do laundry I may use just one and see how that works. I just wanted to make sure that the clothes came out clean. And sure enough with using the 2 spoons of it worked good.
It is nice to find things that not only save money but that work really well too!

**********************************
Speaking of things to do in order to save money - I have mentioned how I had read about using the foam insulating things under the outlet covers on a previous post about saving money. I had read about these on the Budgeting with the Bushman's blog. Well I have looked at my local Lowes and Home Depot and have had no luck finding them. I have obviously not had any luck with anyone willing to help me either. I had wanted to find them in person so I could really look them over but it looks as if I will have to resort to looking on Amazon - which is what I think she said she did. Anyway - while at Lowes, I did pick up some caulking that I am going to use to go around some windows that seem like they are allowing some air in around them. I also got some caulking to use around the base of the back splash of my kitchen cabinets. Some of it is no longer there - so I will be working on that this week.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to know you liked your home made detergent--and that you have a front loader machine. I have a front loader, and have been afraid to use a home made detergent in it. But I just may try afterall! For right now, I still have lots of detergent already bought so I will just keep using that up. But I may price out how much the components will cost me for making my own. I am still thinking that it might cost me as much to buy the ingredients as it does for me to just buy it already made. . . did you really feel it was cheaper?

    Also, I checked out the blog you mentioned--Bushmans--and I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

29: My Favorite Fats for Baking