Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Healthy Versions of Chili and Cornbread - and they are Yummy!!

I have found 2 more great recipe in this cookbook - 7 Secrets Cookbook. Actually every recipe that I have tried so far - I have loved. I have shared all the ones I have tried so far. I have a couple more slated to try in the next week or so.


Chili with Corn

1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 green or red pepper(optional)
1 - 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed, or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp California Chili - I used regular chili -only 1 tsp.
2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups cooked black or small red beans (may be canned) I used liquids as well
1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh corn
14-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
2 T. molasses

1. Put onion, peppers, and seasonings in a medium-sized kettle and add about 2/3 cup water. Simmer for about 8 minutes -or until onion is tender.

2. Add remaining ingredients, and heat to serving temperature.
Makes 6 cups


Lite and Tender Corn Bread

3/4 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 T. Ener-G Baking Powder(or 2 tsp. regular baking powder)
1/2 C. coconut milk(may use 1/2 cup plus 2 T. soy milk and omit water)
1/4 C. applesauce
2 T. honey
2 T. Water or as needed

1. Mix together in a mixing bowl: cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder.

2. Stir together the coconut or soy milk, applesauce, and honey in measuring cup - Add water as needed to make 1 full cup of mixture.

3. Combine wet and dry ingredients, stirring briskly until smooth. Pour into and 8X8 pan, or scoop into muffin tins. Bake at 375* for 20-25 minutes.
Makes 9 squares.
Both of these recipes are fantastic!! :O)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing recipes--AND picture of chili! Looks yummy--I am going to ttry this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna try the chili with corn! That looks good.

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories