Monday, July 12, 2010

Three Word Prayers

As I have been reading my "Red Sea Rules" Book I have been very blessed. And I will continue to share the series of the "10 God-Given Strategies For Difficult Times," but yesterday in my reading I read something that I thought was important enough to write a post just for it.

Lately I have been realizing more and more the importance of application of what we learn. Well because I am a visual learner sometimes it is hard for me to understand how to do things with out directions. And this little gem that I am about to share is something that will help me with applying things that I am learning in my life.

It is really important to spend time in prayer, but we don't always have time or are not in the position for a long prayer. In these times it is a good idea to pray short prayers. I am going to share with you in the authors words this section of the book.

"Other times, however, my prayers are quite short. I've recently learned a new prayer technique from the writing of missionary Amy Carmichael. She learned it from the famous Bible teacher Dr. F. B. Meyer, who once told her that as a young man he had been irritable and hot tempered. An older gentleman advised him to look up at the moment of temptation and say, "Thy sweetness, Lord."
Amy Carmichael developed many variations of that prayer. When meeting someone she did not like, she would silently pray, "Thy love, Lord." In a crisis she'd whisper "Thy help, Lord." or "Thy wisdom, Lord." (The Red Sea Rules, page 42 and 43)

As I read this, I realized that this was such a great idea. There are many times that I find myself needing God to supply different needs, but the situation does not lend itself to me taking a time out to say a long prayer. Now I can just in my mind say a 3 word prayer to God and know that he can supply what is needed. I think it is a great way to keep connected to God throughout the day. And as this becomes a habit, it can help me kick some of the other habits - the bad habits - by calling on Jesus for his help. What a great habit to get into to.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this suggestion and will have to incorporate it into my prayer life too..Thank you for sharing..(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Those are amazingly simple prayers. And spot on.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

28: My Oil of Choice

Another installment of Breadbeckers! :O)