Sunday, July 4, 2010

Dynamic Bible Study Method #1



#1 The Devotional Method of Bible Study

One thing has really stood out to me during this past week - the message of how important it is to apply what we learn in the Bible to our personal lives. I know this seems like such a simple and plain idea; however, I think there are many people who have fallen prey to reading the Bible just for the head knowledge. But God wants so much more for us! Back in the Bible days we remember that the Pharisees and the Sadducees had ALOT of knowledge, even Satan has the knowledge of the Bible - to find that out just look at where he tried to tempt Jesus by using verses in the Bible. By the way - Satan puts just a little bit of error with enough truth to take us down paths we would be better off staying away from.

Definition:
"The Devotional Method of Bible Study involves taking a passage of the Bible, large or small, and prayerfully meditating on it until the Holy Spirit shows you a way to apply its truth to your own life in a way that is personal, practical, possible, and measurable. The goal is for you to take seriously the word of God and "do what it says." James 1:22" page 29

Step 1~ Pray for Insight on How to Apply the Passage

Step 2~ Mediate on a Verse(s) You've Chosen to Study

Step 3~ Write out an Application

Step 4~ Memorize a Key Verse from Your Study
(Page 30)

1 Corinthians 8:1 tells us that "Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up."
When we study the Bible and we don't apply it to our lives it can be dangerous.


"But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves." James 1:22

"Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:" Matthew 7:24

"Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin." James 4:17




"The end of all learning is to know God, and out of the knowledge to love Him and be like Him." John Milton



This book talks about using the S-P-A-C-E P-E-T-S acrostic. These are questions to ask as you study the Bible to help you dig deeper.


  • Sin to confess? Do I need to make any restitution?


  • Promise to claim? Is it a universal promise? Have I meant the condition(s)?


  • Attitude to change? Am I willing to work n a negative attitude and begin building toward a positive one?


  • Command to obey? Am I willing to do it no matter how I feel?


  • Example to follow? Is it a positive example for me to copy or a negative one to avoid?


  • Prayer to pray? Is there anything I need to pray back to God?


  • Error to avoid? Is there any problem that I should be alert to, or beware of?


  • Truth to believe? What new things can I learn about God the Father, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, or other biblical teaching?




  • Something to praise God for? Is there something here I can be thankful for?
    (page 35)


Then this week I heard a speaker talking on what things we need in order to grow as a Christian. It was Food and Exercise. The food she said was the Word of God, that one was easier for me to get. The exercise she said was applying what we learned from the Bible to our lives.



I think it is so neat how sometimes it is so clear that God is trying to teach me something. This week - finding this great book about different study methods. And the very first important point that this book makes is "the ultimate goal of all Bible Study is application, not interpretation." (page 29)



And then hearing this message that both food(Word of God) and exercise(application) is needed for spiritual growth. Boy - it was obvious to me that this was something that I needed to pay attention to.



Our most important goal is to reflect the character of God and how else can we do that than to study the Bible and apply it to our lives - with the help of the Holy Spirit we can better reflect Jesus to those around us.


EDIT: I added a photo of the Devotional Study Form. This will give you an idea of what would help you do this kind of Bible study.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! I'm always interested in different approaches to Bible study. I look forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nita~ Your welcome. I am hoping to be able to condense each of the methods spoken of in this book into a post. These is also a study sheet at the end of each chapter - I am trying to figure out how I could get a copy of make something to post to share as well.
    Lisa in Texas :o)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

20: Joseph Vision