Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Our Week-end Getaway

On July 22nd is our official Anniversary; however, we went out of town this past week-end on a week-end getaway. This is actually only the second time in our marriage since we have had our children that we have had a week-end away just the two of us. Yep - Last year was our first one.




We had a very nice time. We ended up staying in a quiet town named Llano, Texas. We had planned on staying in Fredericksburg, Texas but the hotel that we were going to stay in was booked up already. (We had some points saved up for free hotel night) So we picked a town about 40 miles away. We are REALLY glad we did because we really like quiet places. And especially at night.




The town of Llano has a river flowing through it. There is a cool bridge going over the river.

Along the river is a nice park. My husband spent a few hours Saturday night and Sunday morning fishing. He caught several fish. This one being his favorite! Yeah - He had to send the photo of the fish to our sons to enjoy!



*(Sorry - some how I deleted this picture and had not realized I had)

We loved the county courthouse. I had to take a photo of it. It just might be the start to a collection of them....or not. In the parking lot of the courthouse was a man selling some produce. We bought a watermelon, some peaches and some zucchini. really good peaches are grown around Texas. So I know we will enjoy them!!


We drove over to Fredericksburg and found the town buzzing with activity. We headed east of town to Wildseed Farms. We loved this place. It was probably not the best time of year to visit. I am sure that in March and April - it is a gorgeous place to visit with fields and fields of flowers. You may want to go to the web page above and check it out. It is an awesome place. They have a cafe where you can eat - inside or outside - your choice - we chose to stay inside especially since the temperature was in the mid to upper 90's. In the cafe they have a lot of speciality type foods that they have all sorts of free sample to try things out. We loved some Honey Praline Jelly they had - but forgot to go back and buy a jar of it. There is also an area that they sell wine and have free wine testing every week-end. We did not because we do not drink.



Then we went to the butterfly house. There was and admission fee but it was well worth it. I loved trying to get photos of the butterflies. Let me tell you- they are fast and not only that but I think they are ornery. It's like they sit all nice and pretty till I got close enough with my camera and then they close their wings or fly away. So I took lots of photos -and got at least a couple of photos that were good.








There are a lot of other beautiful landscaping that I will share in another post - so I don't get this post overwhelmed with photos.




Well when it was time to go we were going to take a right to head back to town but we noticed something going on to the left -so we thought we would check it out. Well it ended up being the big Fredericksburg Trade Days - the 3rd week-end of every month they have a big sale. So we pulled into the driveway. There were several cars coming out and one of them rolled down their window and held out a parking pass for us. That was a blessing - saved us about $5.00.




Well there ended up being about 6 big long building with all sorts of booths inside. And then a lot of different things set up out side along several streets. We were thankful when we found a place to get some sweet tea - and found out that if we paid $2.50 a drink - we could come back and get as many refills as we wanted! Well we did not find that till we were about half way done but we got at least 2- 3 refills and made it well worth our money. We were SO thirsty by that time. Remember it is like about 100 degrees by this time!




Well this post would not be complete without me showing you a couple of things that we found at the "Trade Days."
This is a vanity that we found. I loved it! I think they wanted $100.00 for it. And if I had have had a way to get it home(we were in the car) I would have bought it! The middle board there on top has a hinge at the back and it opens up and has a mirror on it. And there is storage under the lid for make up and such. It was awesome!!!

This along with 2 chairs was something that my husband and I both fell in love with. The set was $600. and I am thinking if we had have had the truck and some extra money we would have bought this as well. I would prefer a different color or even a floral - so that stains and such do not show up but I LOVE the design and all of this.


I know this is a LONG post already but I wanted to share one more thing. On Friday on our way to Llano - we stopped at Homestead Heritage . I had taken the boys here several years ago for a field trip and we had loved it. I had seen the furniture and the pottery and thought how nice it would be to be able to get some of it. I mean seriously their furniture is VERY nicely put together. It is high quality stuff. Well anyway Jason and I stopped and we looked around. I wish I had have taken a couple of photos of stuff in there but I can tell you that there were several wooden rocking chairs for about $3000- $4000. There was a child's rocking chair that was $1600. Yep that is right. Well this time as I looked around instead of feeling sorry for myself cause there is NO way we can afford things like that I thought - you know what it is great stuff and if we were rich - I would be tempted to get some of the pieces but I prefer antiques. The details and the quality and story that I am sure if behind each piece. And the price. I know that the really cool things can be expensive but I would have much rather paid $700 and got the vanity and the 3 piece set than to have bought one of the $3000. things any day - even if money was not an issue. It all has to do with perspective.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, how did you get so many pictures of butterflies? You must be quick!! Looks like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you got great butterfly pictures as well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys! I just kept clicking away - hoping that at least a few of them would be good. I had a few other photos that if the butterfly had have just had its wings opened up a little the would have been great photos. I am thankful for what I got though
    Lisa :o)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories