Sunday, March 21, 2010

"The Little House on the Prairie"

When I was a little girl, I did not read through "The Little House on the Prairie" books like most girls did. I don't know if the reason was that my big sister was really into reading and so I needed to find another spot in the family. Or if I was just to busy playing outside to read. Anyway a couple of years ago, as I was watching one of the shows on TV and decided I wanted to watch the whole entire series from beginning to end. And I did. It was very therapeutic to me. I had not realized what it would do to help me, but it helped me see what was really important in life. Well as I have shared, this past year has been really challenging for us. And I am sure that it will continue to be challenging. So I decided that I needed something to help me get back to the simpler things in life. So I decided I was going to finally get around to reading the books through. So my sweet husband bought me the set of book. I am currently only half way through the second book. But it has been so fun to read them so far. There is so many interesting tidbits in these book. And it is so cool to learn the way that people lived back then. I know that a lot of people, including myself, talk about how much more simple life was back then and I think that a lot of times that concept is misunderstood. I think that most the time with someone says something about the simple life - the thought that automatically comes to mind is - an easy life and very plain life.
The truth is that they had to work so very hard. What is so cool about those simpler times is that there was not so much influence from the outside world which meant that the parents had so much more influence on their children. Oh and good Christian morals were so much more important. When someone said they would do something, they did. Shaking hands on a deal made it official. Mothers were at home and taught their children all the skills needed to take care of themselves. Fathers worked hard to support their families. Communities came together to help their neighbors. There are so many more reasons why I love these books, I just can put them into words are this time. I look forward to reading through these books.
What books do you like to read that help you understand the simpler times?

3 comments:

  1. I *love* these books. I, too, didn't read them as a child (my younger sister did, though), but I did discover them in my late 20's. Farmer Boy is my favorite and I've visited his home twice in Malone, NY, a couple hundred miles from my own home (I was absolutely giddy both times!). The people in the books always inspire me with what is really important, too, just as you wrote. Great post! Blessings, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Farmer Boy is my favorite also. I love the books. Even had Thomas read one. He found them girly and only liked Farmer Boy. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa-
    I read through these books to Austin, when he was I think in 2nd grade homeschooling. Don't know if "he" liked them, but "I" sure did! (grin!) You have reminded me of them now--maybe I should soon get them out and read them to Alison!

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

20: Joseph Vision