Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Officially a Quilter

So it is official! I am a quilter - I know and can make a quilt - from the beginning to the end!
So this is just a little bit of what I have been working on over the last week.
 
So once you get a quilt top put together - that is when you layer it with a backing and batting. There is some cool new spray baste stuff that is awesome and makes this step so much easier than using pins. Thankfully I learned about this awesome stuff before I began quilting!
 
So in this first photo you can see that it has been quilted and the batting is poking out. That is how you quilt- you start off with your backing fabric and your batting about 3 inches bigger than the quilt on each side.
So once I finished quilting the quilt - which took about 4-5 hours. You sew a seam around the edge of the quilt - a little less than 1/4 of an inch seam. And you cut off the excess backing and batting.
That is what stage this photo is showing:
Next you prepare your binding- so the pieces together and then onto the quilt with the machine. Then you iron and then fold the binding fabric around to the back - and then you will work by sewing the binding down by hand. Maybe it's called a blind stitch. You just do your best to sew it down good without a lot of what you are doing showing.
 
This is the quilt after I washed it!  
I can't wait till I find my camera and am able to take photo from it to better show the color of the quilt. This last one might be the best representation of the colors.

And actually I have totally finished another quilt - but since it is a quilt that I was asked to make for someone else - I feel it is only right to not share photos of the quilt until after the quilt makes it to the lady it was made for. Which by the way - needs prayers ~ as does her whole family. She was just diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer stage 4 - just about a week ago. So I am helping her daughter get these quilts made up for her mother- and I knew that there was no guarantee of how long her Momma would be around. So I actually have the first of the two that I am going to help her with. I will post photos of those quilts when I am able to do so.

**********
We are getting a down pour of rain right now! And although I know that we need the rain - I was sure hoping to be able to get my yard mowed before the rain hit. Friday night we got about 3 inches of rain. And then on Sunday night we got about 1 inch of rain. And now it is raining again. And my yard REALLY needs to get mowed. 

Well I hope you all are doing well. I have a couple of posts that I would really like to get written up and I am hoping to be able to do so soon. :O)
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories