Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong. Let all that you do be done with love. I Corinthians 16:13, 14 NKJV

Monday, May 23, 2016

I Finally Did it!

This week end I attempted something for the very first time. For the last 8 years or so I have been quilting- as in putting quilt tops together. And I have enjoyed it. But I had never really done the quilting of a quilt before this past week end.

As many of you know that back in March I got a quilting machine/frame. And since them, when time permitted I practiced quilting on some provided materials. I had been hesitant to get one of my quilts that I had put a lot of hard work into and put it on the frame and quilt it. What if I made a mistake? I mean, I am a recovering perfectionist. I really am. In fact, I have another post that I am going to be working on this week about another area of my life in which I am seeing progress in over coming perfectionism, which I am very thankful for.

So I this week end I knew I was finally ready to take my first try at quilting. I ironed the quilt top and the backing. I prepared my bed by covering it with an old sheet. Then laid the batting down on the sheet and we laid the backing on top - folded 1/2 of it over and sprayed that half - then unfolded it and laid it on the batting - smoothing it out. Then we folded the other half of the backing over - sprayed it and then unfolded and smoothed it out. Then we flipped that whole piece over- so that the batting was facing upward. Then we repeated the above process with the quilt top. And we smoothed it all out. We had to pin the leader cloth to the top of the quilt and then we were read to take the quilt to the quilting frame. And after getting everything situated and set up correctly - I was able to begin quilting.

This is the quilt top before we put it together with the batting and backing: 


Here it is completed! 

 
During this whole process I learned a lot. That is normal - many times it takes actually doing something in order to learn to do it better. I realized I was going to need a lot more bobbins than what I prepared at the beginning. And had to stop and make more and then again. So I am taking notes of this size quilt and the number of bobbins - at least - to have prepared. And also to make sure that I have more than one spool of the thread I had - because my main spool of thread that I was using - is almost totally gone. Thankfully it lasted through this whole process.
I already have a quilting booklet to keep track of the quilts I do, so I will be writing notes in it to help me in the future when quilting other quilts.

All in all I am happy with the finished product. It was defiantly a learning process and mistakes were made. And I know as I continue to make quilts - I should be able to do a better and better job. As you know, I have 3 more quilts to work on now. So I will plenty of practice. Oh actually I have 4 more to do. It looks like I have an important project that I will be working on the next week or so.
 
As I finish projects I will be sharing with you all. I will need to get the batting for two of the quilts that I have to quilt. And then I need to get a backing for the other quilt that I have to quilt. So there is no jumping right into the next project. My new project will actually involve putting a quilt together and then quilting it. Please be praying that it will be something that I can do - and can do a good job it is a special project and I want to do a really good job- and it is time sensitive - so I need to get it done asap. Thank you so much.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! Looks beautiful from over here in internet land! Hope your next one goes well also, in a timely manner. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)