Thursday, July 30, 2015

A Museum Visited

Ok - so while we were in Granbury we went to the Hood Country Jail Museum. If I remember correctly we were told that it is the 2nd oldest jail in the county.
When we first got there the tour guide(for part of it) suggested that we go up stairs and see the jail cells first. It was a good thing because it was quite warm up there. There was a jail cell for women and another area for men. While we were in the women's jail cell the guy turned off the light and shut the door for a bit so we could see how dark it got in there- which was VERY dark. Scared my granddaughter a bit.
The men's side had two smaller rooms that had bunk beds on either side of the room with just a walkway between. Neither place looked like anywhere anyone would want to spend any time. Because of the heat and just not thinking, I did not get photos at all of the upstairs area.
 
But thankfully I did get photos of the downstairs.
We found out that the man who the town of Granbury is named after was actually Granberry- but apparently it seems that he chose to spell it differently while he serving in the military. Or so that is what the tour guide had thought had been the case. If you would like to read more about it and the town of Granbury click HERE. You can also see a photo of the courthouse building that is at the town square.
 
Sweetpea quickly found the shelf that had the toys from way back when.
She thought it was fun to sit in the school desk and use the feather/pen. And was able to look at it and see how it worked. They had a good collection of inkwells also.
 
I was happy to discover the wall with quilt blocks on it. I did not have as much time as I would have liked to have spent looking at the different things, but enjoyed the time I did get. 
And of course they had an old sewing machine.

This is something awesome that I had to get a photo of and share. This thing at the front right side of the cook stove is a waffle iron. What is awesome about it is that it actually rotates! When we have gone away for the week end and stayed in a hotel that had free continental breakfast one thing we have really enjoyed is when we have been able to make Texas shaped waffles with this same make up - pour the batter in - rotate the waffle maker and let it cook. I thought it was cool to find out that this has been around a LONG time - it is just something that is new to us over the last few years.  
Oh and I love the old timey iron on the left side of the stove. I love old timey irons- I wish they were not so expensive at the antique stores.
 
Well like I said - I was not able to get photos of every thing- nor did I really have time to look at everything like I would have liked to have done, but we still enjoyed our time here and will probably go back to visit some day.
This museum is in a block just off the town square - easy access.
The cost is $2.00 per adult and $1.00 for children- we were not charged for our granddaughter - I figure they have a below a certain age is free. It was worth the $ to check out this museum. I hope you have enjoyed this virtual tour. :O)

1 comment:

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

20: Joseph Vision