Monday, June 24, 2013

Salt in My Kitchen...series

(sorry I totally forgot about this series- but it's back again. I hope it blesses you)

Salt in My Kitchen

by:
Jeanette Lockerbie
 

Against a Rainy Day

Bible Reading: Psalm 119:10-16
 
With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! 11 Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You! 12 Blessed are You, O Lord! Teach me Your statutes! 13 With my lips I have declared All the judgments of Your mouth. 14 I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, As much as in all riches. 15 I will meditate on Your precepts, And contemplate Your ways. 16 I will delight myself in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word.   
 
"I just can't seem to memorize anything," is a typical reaction to a Sunday school teacher's suggestion that an adult pupil commit some Bible verses to memory.
 
Contrast this with the zeal of a Chinese convert from heathenism in this missionary's story:
"My house has only a bamboo roof," explained the convert, "and when the rains come down they leak through. I do not want the rain to leak on the Word of God. Rain cannot leak into my heart, so I write God's Word in my heart." The new Christian then demonstrates his ability to quote whole passages of the Bible.
 
He lived to see "other rains" rob him of the Bible. The godless Communists stormed through his country. They took his Bible but they could not rob him of what he had "hidden in his heart."
 
Who can tell how long we will enjoy precious freedom to read God's Word? Why not make the most of it. You can't memorize? Maybe you would like to try what others homemakers have found to be successful" Tack up a typed Bible verse where you will see it often in the course of a day. Put it above the kitchen sink of near the ironing board. Think of how you can lighten your daily duties and relieve the monotony by memorizing God's Word.

And you will, like our Chinese convert, have built a spiritual shelter against a rainy day.

1 comment:

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

20: Joseph Vision