Sunday, December 30, 2012

And Then There Were 13

 
This photo was taken a while back. But I wanted to show you my beautiful chickens. Last week we had a VERY windy night. Right before we were going to go to bed, I remembered something outside that I wanted to secure so I had went out in the back yard to take care of it. My husband came out to help me and then noticed that there was a chicken out of the coop. This is very unusual for them. Usually when the sun goes down they have all made their way to the coop.
 
 
Well we went and tried to get the chicken to take it to the coop and while we were chasing that chicken around the yard - we noticed several more huddled by a fence. Then we figured there must be something wrong. So my husband went to the coop to check it out. He discovered a opossum in the coop. Not only that but a dead chicken.
 
We have had opossums in the coop before but never have we had one to kill a chicken. That was a first.
 
So we had half of our chickens hiding out in the yard and the other half were up on their roost. The opossum went and hid in a corner. And we had no way to get him out since the only thing we could see was his tail and about 1 inch of his rear. My husband tried to scare him out of the corner to get him out of the coop- but if you know anything about opossums you probably realize that when they get scared - the pretend to be dead. And "dead" is what he did.

It was very hard, but we had to just leave him there and just hope that the rest of the chickens made it through the night.
 
The next morning - I went to check on my girls and Praise the Lord the rest of my chickens were all doing well. I did decide that from then on - I would go back to closing up the coop every night. I had stopped closing them up about 6-8 months ago and nothing had bothered them that entire time. It adds more work to me but it keeps my girls save so that is how it'll be.
 
So now you know how we are down to 13 chickens. 

4 comments:

  1. Chickens - how interesting! I'm sorry you lost one :( Thank you for asking about us. We are both seeking God and His will for our lives as we continue to recover. We are still facing many challenges but have learned to put our trust in God alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren - You are a very wise woman. I wish I had have learned that lesson long ago. I thought I had but I am really having to learn it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to get to the point where I had no where else to go but on my knees. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is exactly the kind of year I have had- no where else to go but my knees. So thankful that God is there and for the relationship it is helping me develop with him - and learning to surrender my life to Him. I am still learning all this stuff. :O)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories