Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Hot Outside..But We Still Need to Eat....

Another slow cooker recipe from this cookbook! page 64
(be sure and read my notes at the end to find out what I would suggest) 

Ground Beef Casserole 

1 - 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
6-8 potatoes, sliced 
water + 1/2 tsp. cream of tarter
1 med-sized onion, sliced/chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced 
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried basil 
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1-14 1/2 oz can green beans with liquid 
1 can of cream of mushroom soup 

1. Crumble uncooked ground beef in bottom of slow cooker. 
2. slice potatoes and put into mixing bowl filled with water mixed with cream of tarter to keep potatoes from turning dark. Stir together; then drain water off and discard. 
3. Add potatoes, onion, garlic, slat, basil, thyme, and black pepper to cooker. 
4. Pour beans(with liquid) over the top. Spread can of mushroom soup over the beans. 
5. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. 

Alright- I tried this recipe yesterday and I would have to say there are a couple of things I would do different. For those of you that are meat eaters - you will want to get a very low fat ground beef. Otherwise - I would suggest that you cook the meat first by bringing some water to a boil and put your hamburger meat and cook it till done. Then drain the water off. This way - a lot of the fat is discarded. 
For those of you that are vegetarian - I am sure this would be delicious with veggie meat. My husband loves meat so I try the recipes with the meat first and then if I like it a lot then I will make me some without meat at a later time. 
Also I would make sure that I put a good amount of potatoes in. So if you have medium potatoes - I would go with the 8 potatoes - if not more. That is what I will be doing next time for sure.
I put 1/2 of the black pepper in this. 
Anyway this is just what I would suggest. I think it is a great recipe and tasty. If you don't like one of the seasonings - by all means just leave it out. It is very flavorful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories