Thursday, August 2, 2012

Triple Digits Outside - But We Still Need To Eat


With our temperatures being in the triple digits and no relief in sight. I have been trying out new crock pot recipes. Here is one of the recipes that tastes pretty good. See the notes below of changes that I made.

Chicken Tortilla Casserole 

4 chicken breast, cooked and cut into 1 inch pieces
reserve 1/4 C chicken broth
10 - 6 inch flour tortillas, cut into strips about 1/2 inches by 2 inches long
2 med. onions, chopped
2 tsp. canola oil
1-10 3/4 oz Chicken broth
1-10 3/4 oz cream of mushroom soup
2-4 oz mild green chilies, chopped
1 egg
1 - 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated

1. Pour reserved chicken broth in slow cooker sprayed with cooking spray.
2. Scatter half the tortillas in the bottom of slow cooker - sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese.
3. Mix remaining ingredients together, except the second half of the tortilla strips and the rest of the cheese.
4. Layer half the chicken mixture into the cooker, followed by the other half of the tortillas, followed by the rest of the chicken mix.
5. Cover - cook on low 4-6 hours. 3-5 on high
6. Add the remaining cheese and allow to cook another 20 - 30 minutes to melt the cheese.
7. Uncover and allow casserole to rest 15 minutes before serving

The basic recipe came from Fit It and Forget it Lightly - their recipe only called for 1 cup of cheese on top. When I made this up - I felt like it needed another layer of cheese. You choose what you would like to do. Oh yeah - I only used 1 can of the green chili's too. I also only used 2 chicken breasts - they were large. For Vegetarians out there - I am sure that it would work with FriChic - in fact - I have some of the chopped up FriChic and I think I am going to try it later this week.

***Edited to add: The first time that I made this, I used my small Crockpot but I will be using my large one next time. There was barely enough room for it. The tortillas will expand and take up more room- so when it was done it was kind of a dome above the top of the crockpot. I think my small one is about 2 qts. It is a small white Hamilton Beach one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

19: Go to the Ant