Thursday, December 1, 2011

It's NOT all Smooth Sailing

I think there is a lot of danger in the belief that once we become Christians, that it will be smooth sailing from then on. I also think that it is sad that there are some preachers out there preaching these lies. I mean - when Jesus came to the earth, was His life smooth sailing? Was everything hunky dory all the time? No... So why would we think that things would be for us?

"And there came a scribe, and said unto him, Teacher, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest. 20 And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the heaven [have] nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head." Matthew 8:19-20

Does that sound like everything was roses and sunshine?
Several times in the Bible it warns of the suffering that we, as followers of Jesus Christ, will have:
"If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you." John 15:18-19

"but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ's sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy." 1 Peter 4:13

But there is good news!

"For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory," 2 Corinthians 4:17

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Romans 8:18

And one of my favorites:

"But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you." 1 Peter 5:10

Isn't that awesome? We may have to suffer but God is using that suffering to mold us into what He wants us to be.

So please do not fall for the lies. Do not expect everything to be wonderful and certainly do not get discouraged when trouble and trials come your way. Because you can count on those things. If you are not in the middle of a trial, or have not just gotten out of a trial - you can about be certain the one will be in you future. But do not be dismayed. For when we love and follow Jesus Christ -He will use these things to perfect us and make us more and more like Himself.

1 comment:

  1. We always tend to look at our trials negatively, when the Bible tells us to "consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance." (James 1:2)
    And a few verses later it says "blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him."

    In the past, I have let my trials pull down to the point where I hit "rock bottom". But now I can see that they were necessary for God to form me into the person he wants me to be.

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

28: My Oil of Choice

Another installment of Breadbeckers! :O)