Friday, November 4, 2011

Taking Time to be Thankful

On Facebook and now on blogs I have noticed people posting each day of what they are thankful for. I have been a bit hesitant to get on board with this - why? You ask. Well there are a couple of reasons. Don't get me wrong, I think that it is very important for us to be thankful and to praise God for all of our blessings.

First of all, I do not want to take time just this month because it is Thanksgiving month to be thankful and then to just let that go altogether. And the other reason why I have been a little hesitant takes a bit longer to explain.

I know a lady that is in her upper 50's and she is all the time bragging about how she has not been to the Dr in years and years. No - she never had children. So she got pneumonia about 5 years ago and when she went to the hospital and had even bragged to the Dr about how it had been years and years since she had been to the Dr's. Well I know that this should not bother me - but I think because of the health problems that my husband has had and this year with him having problems and having to keep going and having things done -it just seems to rub me the wrong way when she is bragging. And to be honest - she may feel like she is just stating what she is thankful for. But to me - it comes across as bragging. So basically I don't mind sharing things that I am thankful for but do not want to come across to others as just bragging.

So now you understand the reason why I have not jumped on board before now. Well I do know of some ladies that take a day of the week and they list what they are thankful for and I may end up doing something like that. I don't know for sure yet.

Speaking of things I am thankful for - I think I would have to start out with what is the most important thing to me - my Jesus! I am so thankful for our creator and Father God. I am thankful for God's love for me - that He sent his only son -Jesus to die on the cross for my sins. And I am thankful for the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit has many rolls but I think that one of my favorites is that He helps me understand things as I read the Bible. The Bible tells us that he teaches us, comforts us, and it even says in Luke 12:12 that "the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say."

I am thankful for my family and friends. I am most thankful for my family and friends who pray. That have held me and my family up in prayers many, many times. Things are not always perfect with the family and friends but I am learning that God uses these people in my life to work out character defects that I have. And I am thankful for them all.

I am thankful for the Ten Commandments.

"And when He had made an end of speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Moses two tablets of the Testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God." Exodus 31:18

Did you notice that the Ten Commandments were written by the finger of God on tablets of stone?

Today I am most thankful for the Sabbath Day! It has been a long day and I am tired and I am ready for a day of rest. God knew what he was doing when he created the world and made sure that he put day of rest in there.

"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it." Exodus 20:8-11

Ok - I think that is full enough list for today.

2 comments:

  1. Amen.
    I understand about the bragging thing.
    So glad you shared your thanks and praise with us!
    Let the redeemed of the Lord say so!
    Blessings!
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for YOU, Lisa! What a treasure christian friends are!

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories