Sunday, September 25, 2011

Quilt Show~part 1 "Bed Turning"

Have you ever heard of a "Bed Turning"? I had not till this week-end. My husband and I have been quilting for like 8-9 years and we had never been to a Quilt Show. Well I heard that the Quilter's Guild of Parker County was having a Quilt Show called "Celebrating Texas" and I wanted to go. It's a bit of a drive from where we live but it was a pretty nice day for a drive.

At the Quilt Show they had a "Bed Turning" which is where they pile up old quilts that are too delicate or heavy to hang and they show each quilt telling about it. It is a good thing that I have a book that tells me some basics because that way I will be able to tell you a bit about each quilt.

"Double Ax Head or Apple Core" This quilt was made in the mid to late 1960's using scraps and old clothing.





"When the Days Work is Done, Bring in the Flowers" This one is said to be have been quilted prior to the 1960's.








"Flower Garden"





"Antique Yo Yo" This was rescued from a garage sale - the lady that owns it based it to a sheet to make it easier to move it around without damaging it.

"Depression- Era Floral Kit Quilt"




"This is a perfect example of the quilts that were made from kits that women in the 30's and 40's (and beyond) received through mail order. The appliques were printed on the colored fabric ready to be cut out and appliqued."




I wish I could have gotten a better photo of this quilt- it was beautiful! I would love to make something like it!
"1920's Red Carnation"




This was another one of the kit quilts - It was beautiful as well.


This quilt had a sheet over it and when the sheet was pulled away - you should have heard all of the oohs and aah's. This photo does not do it justice.




"Beaded Crazy Quilt - Velvet"




"This quilt was created by Mrs. J.T. Hunter from Weatherford Texas. It was purchased from an estate sale. It is extensively beaded with glass beads and had beaded fringe on 3 sides."




"Crazy Quilt"

"Double T"
"Bought in Littlerock, Ark. Appraised at the Fort Worth Quilt Show. Made between 1860- 1870. "

Since this post is already photo heavy - I decided to post about this adventure in two different posts. So stay tuned for some more photos of some great quilts! :O)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful quilts! Thank you so much for taking pictures and sharing them here--makes me feel almost like I got to go to the show as well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

20: Joseph Vision