Tuesday, August 18, 2020

It Works!!


Last week I worked on a very special project~ Dry/Oven Canning. 
And I am very happy to report that it worked and I am very pleased with how everything came out. 
I already had some wheat and some rice that I needed to process to help it last longer- so I did those first. Then I went to Winco and I bought 10 pounds of old fashioned oats. And that was what I did next! 

This is what 10 pounds of oats looks like - 12 quart sized jars! There was a little left over and that went into my Tupperware container that I store my oats in for daily use. 


Oh and I bought some bulk popcorn as well. I used a bit different way to seal these jars. I was worried about putting them into the oven at the 215* that I used to process my other things. So I used my Food Saver Canisters to process these. And I was very happy with how they turned out as well. This will just help keep the extra popcorn that I bought to stay fresh longer. :O) 

I learned that I really like saving the boxes that the jars come in - to store the finished products in. Thankfully one of the ladies who gave me some jars - had saved her Kerr box and that is when I discovered how nice it was to have these boxes- whether the jars are filled up or empty - it is so much nicer to keep them in the boxes they came in. Yes - the jars filled up in there are heavy and you need to be careful with moving them around but that is where my post for tomorrow comes in. So be sure and stop by tomorrow.  

I had all my jars sitting on my favorite, new shelving unit. Then I watched a youtube- "No-No! Don't Do This With Your Canned Goods!" And learned something I was already doing wrong-  *leaving the rings on the jars! So I went out and I removed all the rings. 

Here is my pretty little basket that I had found at Aldi's several weeks ago - I did not know how I would use this basket - but was SO happy when I figured out that I needed a place to store my rings. 

This basket came in a 2 pack and my other basket is on the top shelf with my canning tools and supplies. 

 Another thing that I learned from this youtube video - *Do not stack your jars. You can stack the boxes of jars - but do not stack jars directly on top of one another.  Watch the video for more information. 

I hope you have enjoyed today's post. I am enjoying learning these new things and can't wait to learn more! :O) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

33: The Way to Captivity