Monday, July 22, 2013

Salt in my Kitchen....series


Salt in my Kitchen

 
by
Jeanette Lockerbie
 
 

When God is Slow

Bible Reading: Psalms 103:8-13

 

    The Lord is merciful and gracious, Slow to anger, and abounding in mercy. 9 He will not always strive with us, Nor will He keep His anger forever. 10 He has not dealt with us according to our sins, Nor punished us according to our iniquities. 11 For as the heavens are high above the earth, So great is His mercy toward those who fear Him; 12 As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us. 13 As a father pities his children, So the Lord pities those who fear Him.   

 

A young mother answered a hesitant knock on the kitchen door. There stood her five year old daughter Janey, mud- splattered, eyes downcast.
 
Taking in the situation in one glance the mother said, "honey! Whatever happened to you? C'mon, let me clean you up." And she swept the child into her arms.
 
The kind, warm tones of her mother's voice started a flood of tears. Between sniffs, Janey gulped out, "Mommie, you're not mad at me." Then , as though the sun had been turned on, the little girl continued, " I prayed and asked Jesus not to let you be mad at me for getting my nice dress all muddy. I asked Him to let me tell you first that I didn't play in the mud. Really, Mommie." The big, tear-filled eyes pleaded for understanding. "It was that nasty car that splashed me all over." Janey's words tumbled over each other. "And Mommie, Jesus answered my prayer. Your not mad at me."
 
What might have happened if Janey's mother had been quick to rebuke, harsh in punishment? A child's faith (that her mother had fostered!) might have been shattered. A sensitive child might have lost confidence in her mother's sense of justice. Instead, a new bond was formed. In the childish mind Mommie and Jesus were akin in love and understanding. Sometimes it pays to be slow. 

1 comment:

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

29: My Favorite Fats for Baking