Sunday, May 20, 2018

Insight For Us All From The Rich Young Ruler

Have you ever had questions about the conversation that Jesus had with the rich young ruler? Well the following paragraphs sure answered some questions I have had plus more. They give great insights to an important lesson for us all to learn.

"Now we turn to Matthew 19, the story of the young man who came to Jesus and wanted to know what he could do to enter into life? Jesus said, "Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is God." Verse 17. Then Jesus told him to keep the commandments. And the young man said, "I have kept all of these." Then in verse 21, Jesus said, "If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven; and come and follow me."

I had a bit of a problem with that text for some time, because I wondered, How can a person be perfect, and then come and follow Jesus? This is an impossibility. You have to come to Jesus first, before you could ever hope to be perfect. But as you take a second look at this text, you'll discover that Jesus is actually telling us how to be perfect. There are deep spiritual lessons in this passage of Scripture. Go and sell all that you have. This is talking about more than just money. Get rid of what you have. You might be rich in talent. Stop depending on your talent. You might be rich in good looks- you're overcome every time you look in the mirror? Get rid of your dependence on your good looks. You might be rich in brains. Sell it, in terms of depending on it. Sell all that you have. Get rid of all the things that you depend on in any way as a substitute for dependence upon Jesus. Give up, not only on your money or talents or abilities, but on yourself. This is the essence of Jesus' teachings - self-surrender, giving up on self."

Quote from Morris Venden's book What Jesus Said About..... pg.70-71

This is why I love Morris Venden's books - I gain such insight into the Bible!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

29: My Favorite Fats for Baking