Thursday, June 4, 2015

An AHA Moment With Exercise

Something amazing happened on my walk this morning. And I wanted to share it with you all. Maybe it is something that can help encourage one of you as well.

But before I can share that experience with you, I need to go back and start at the beginning. For over 15 years I have had the desire to run..... ok - stop laughing.... I really have. And in fact, a couple of times I tried to run. As I think about it - I think back to my middle school days- I even tried as soon as my 8th grade year. I got up early a couple of mornings and tried to run around the block. The big problem with this block is that no matter which direction you went - you would have to go up hill at least half of the duration of the run. Anyway it did not last long - then again about 15 years ago - I tried again a bit but just got discouraged. Just earlier this week, while I was at the park - a friend of mine from church was running/jogging - then she went off the trail and starting jogging home. I felt a little envious of her as she ran towards home. That same desire was there, but I knew that I had a LONG ways to go to get to the place of bring able to run/jog.

Well I have shared how the whole situation with my Mother in law has inspired me to get back outside and get some exercise. I have been walking - as much as I can. Well I am trying to walk at least 5 times a week. And I know as I continue on this journey to getting in better shape I will not only build up my stamina but I will feel better as well. And I will have more energy and sleep better. And if you have a problem with your blood pressure being too high - exercising will bring your blood pressure down - it has for me in the past.  These are just a few things that exercise can do for you!

So this morning while I was out walking in a great neighborhood near my home, a truck slowed down next to where I was walking and he said "Walking is a great thing to do." I thought that his next words would be, "Keep it up" but he surprised me by saying, "Don't run, keep walking. It's good for your heart." He had a bit of broken English but this is what I understood. I think he wanted to explain more to me but this is what he was able to share. And I know it may not seem like an amazing thing, but when you hear those words after years of thinking that you have the desire to run...well it really reinforces that your on the right path and I just felt like it was God reassuring me - to keep it up and not to long for something different but to enjoy that which I am doing. I know what wonderful results I can get from continuing to walk. I have done it in the past and all of the benefits listed above - I have experienced first hand. And thinking back I just could kick myself in the butt for not sticking to it then. But I guess it is all a part of the journey of our lives. We have to find balance and figure out how important it is for us to take care of ourselves.

On one of my last blog posts about exercising a friend commented how she was walking at least 10 minutes after each meal and that this helped with keeping the blood sugars in check. I had heard this before but had forgotten. I was thankful that she shared because this is something that I too need to work on. I am not diabetic but I do have some precursor to getting it if I am not careful and if I do not take good care of myself.

1 comment:

  1. That's so neat you had that man affirm your exercise! He's right--walking is so important, and I don't think running ever replaces it. I couldn't run for years because of some health issues. Now I can run, and I do a little. Your body sort of lets you know if and when it's time to try running, but I agree with that man, walking is still super important no matter what other exercise you do. Sounds like you're doing an awesome job with your exercise!

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories