Monday, May 6, 2013

Salt in My Kitchen...series

This week- we are going to begin a new series: "Salt in My Kitchen"
I thought that Monday would be a great day for this series since Monday is when we get back into our weekly schedule. The week end is over and the work week has begun. I hope that this series will bless you all. This is a cute little book that I found at the thrift store- it has a copyright date of 1967 by Moody Bible Institute of Chicago. -the book I bought was the 16th printing in 1975. I hope you all enjoy! Have a great day! :O)
 

Salt in My Kitchen

by
Jeanette Lockerbie 
 

"Salt in My Kitchen"
Bible Reading : Colossians 4:2-6
 
Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving; 3 meanwhile praying also for us, that God would open to us a door for the word, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in chains, 4 that I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak. 5 Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. 6 Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.   
Colossians 4:2-6
 
"Let your speech at all times be gracious (pleasant and winsome), seasoned ( as it were) with salt. (v. 6, Amplified).
 
Take salt out of our kitchens, and what will be the effect? The finest culinary creation will be tasteless. Eating will be robbed of most of its pleasure.
 
Salt has other notable qualities besides that of taste:
 Salt cleanses. The Prophet Elisha recognized this fact when he used salt to cleanse the waters
( II Kings 2:20-22). Surely the analogy is plain. What is more refreshing than cleanliness? The custom of bathing newborn babies with salt was practiced by the Israelites (Ezekiel 16:4) and continues in some parts of the world today. We apply the "salt" of concern and love in bathing a baby, or cleaning a home to make it a haven after a day in the working world's grime.

Salt seasons. The Bible calls Christians the salt of the earth," and warns against losing our "savour" that seasons the world. We should allow this spiritual "salt" to season our conversation and back up our Christian testimony.  "Let your speech be always with grace, seasons with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man" (Colossians 4:6).

Salt deices. The layer of ice on the porch steps on a January morning is much like the ice-bound heart, hard as a rock from the impact of bitter experiences. Both melt beneath the application of the salt: one, the literal commodity; the other, the "salt: of kindness and peace. "have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another" (Mark 9:50b).

Can you think of any better place to sprinkle this "salt" than your own kitchen? Or any better time than right now?
 

3 comments:

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

29: My Favorite Fats for Baking