Wednesday, May 29, 2013

My Best Marriage Advice

A couple of weeks ago, a local radio station asked a question on Facebook. I did not get a chance to write my answer or really to read what others answered.

The question: What is the best marriage advice?

Well like I said I did not get a chance to answer their question to them, but I did think of a couple of answers and I thought I would share them here for you guys.

Number 1~ Don't stop dating - Each other that is! Many times we get married and we get busy with life and we forget to take time out just to be together. This advice does not have to cost a lot of money. It could be as simple as a picnic or maybe even a date night of watching a movie together after the kiddos have gone to sleep. Even after we have children - we still need time together as a couple.

Number 2~ After having children or even if there are no children- be sure to implement a special couple time every day after hubby gets home from work(or you both get home from work- what ever the case may be). Many times once we get home we get busy taking care of everything and everyone around the house and there end up being no time for the couple to talk. Set aside at least 15 minutes (longer if you can) for time just for your spouse and you to discuss the day, plans, what ever. When the children are young this could be just sitting on the couch talking without the children interrupting - I would make it clear "this is Mommy and Daddy time and unless it is an emergency, please do not bother us". As you do this the children will get used to you doing this and will not interrupt as much. How ever you want to work this - just make sure there is time for you and your spouse every day - or as often as possible.

Remember you children will grow up and move away but you and your spouse will be together. You want to continue to develop a relationship with your spouse throughout the years so that once your children are gone that you will still have common ground.

I have to be honest - my husband and I were very young when we got married - each of us at 18 1/2 years of age. We had our first child by 20 and 22 yrs old for the second one. We did not have a lot of money or experience with small children and these were not things that we did intentionally. And we did not always do these things. We have been so much better about these things over the past 5-10 years. But these are things that I wish we had have done throughout the growing of our family. That is why I am sharing these things today. I hope that this information will help someone out there.

4 comments:

  1. praise God! i love this blog..great..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello- new follower :O) so glad to have you on board! Your blog is beautiful - once I was able to get it translated - I will be able to enjoy it more.
    Thanks ladies - this is just some advice that I wish I had have known of when my kiddos were small Lisa :O)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

20: Joseph Vision