Monday, May 27, 2013

Salt In My Kitchen....series - AND..

Before we get to our devotional for today - I wanted to say a BIG thank you for all the service men and women who have died while defending the USA. Thank you to all those servicing in the Armed Services now. What you do is very much appreciated! May God bless you and your family in a very special way.
***********************************************
 
 

Salt In My Kitchen

by Jeanette Lockerbie
 

"The Early Bird"

Bible Reading: Mark 1:35-39
 
35 Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed. 36 And Simon and those who were with Him searched for Him. 37 When they found Him, they said to Him, "Everyone is looking for You." 38 But He said to them, "Let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also, because for this purpose I have come forth." 39 And He was preaching in their synagogues throughout all Galilee, and casting out demons.
Mark 1:35-39
 
 
There was a time when the words "early bird" had an earthy, catch-the-worm connotation. Today the reference to an early bird will more likely pertain to the Early Bird satellite.
 
Regardless of that generation or season, one "early bird" can be depended on to break the morning stillness: the year-or-so-old baby, herald of the dawn.
This eagerness to start the new day may not be echoed by the average mother, tired by her yesterday. Nevertheless, the one who will surmount the weariness and "rise up a great while before dawn" (or a reasonable equivalent according to the family schedule) will be rewarded for her effort.
In the quiet morning hour comes strength for the day. In the recognition that we are more than flesh and blood that we are spirit and soul, in the deliberate feeding of our inner self, comes power to overcome the turmoil and conflicts of the day. The minutes spent in reading God's Word, in prayer and communion with our heavenly Father, will be reflected throughout long hours.
Admittedly it takes grim determination to roll out when the alarm sounds reveille. But remember the words of Harriet Beecher Stowe:
Still, still with Thee
When purple morning breaketh.

This is the hour when clear- channel communication between the busy homemaker and her God will prove infinitely more worthwhile than any "early bird" system ever dreamed of.
 
 **************************************
 
This devotion really speaks to me. On the mornings that I stay up when my husband leaves for work - I have a much better quiet time than if I do my quiet time later. There is just something about quiet time - first thing in the morning.
What are your thoughts?


2 comments:

  1. Totally agree, love my early morning quiet time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to have my early morning time with Jesus, or I neglect it the rest of the day~usually. There are times hoever when I just have to get someting accomplished as soon as I wake up. If I don't get that time in later....I know it by the time afternoon arrives.

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

29: My Favorite Fats for Baking