Monday, February 11, 2013

Dysfunctional Merry-Go-Round

There is a lesson that I have learned in the last year or so, but sometimes I tend to forget it. But once the ugly head of dysfunction raises its head - and I begin to react to it... I come to remember it again.

I believe we all deal with a little dysfunction in our families. Because sin entered the world - we now have dysfunction. And it can cause some bad effects such as your peace being stolen. That is what happened to me recently.

I was speaking to a family member about a difficult situation that our family has been going through and this person started telling me all sorts of not to positive information - kind of like worse case scenario's-   and as she was talking - my peace slowly was draining out of me. Some people might think that I have my head in the sand but that is not the way I look at it. I just want to keep my eyes on Jesus and trust Him. And this conversation was not at all helping me do that. I am sure this person thought that they were helping prepare me - just in case..... I got off the phone as soon as I could.

I had no peace. I was so thankful that my husband was home and I was able to tell him about the conversation and how upsetting it had been for me. It took a little time for me to work through these negative feelings and come to a place of peace again. While we were talking I realized the lesson I had learned - in all of our families there are dysfunctional merry-go-rounds and we can either stay on them and ride OR we can choose to get off of them and step away. Staying on and riding is not fun. It steals my peace. So I choose to get off.

I have realized that I need to learn how, while in these conversations that try to pull me back onto the merry-go-round, to let it be known that I do not want to get back on the merry-go-round. I need to have the courage to stay off. And believe me - when being pulled back on- it takes courage.

There are some situations - even in our families- that we need to step away from in order to have peace and sanity. So I am choosing to stay off. And if I find myself on the merry-go-round - I will get off as soon as possible. I hope you will too. :O)

3 comments:

  1. This is SO true! You have learned a wise lesson--and I really like the way you compare it to a merry-go-round. That is very much what it is like! Thank you for the reminder that when this happens to me, I can choose to get off.

    Praying for you and your family today!

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

29: My Favorite Fats for Baking