Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Home Made Cleaners

Last week I shared about how I had made up some home made laundry detergent and dish washing powder and that I would share how I made them.

So that is what we will be doing today.

I printed out my recipes for these soaps several years ago and I really don't remember where exactly I got them. It seems I found one recipe one place and later found the other one. Anyway what I am trying to say is that I was not the brilliant person to come up with these recipes - I am only sharing what I have learned through others. And I am so thankful that they shared their wisdom.

 

Powder Laundry Detergent

 

1 bar of soap (Fels Natha, Castile Soap, or Ivory Soap. I have been using the Ivory soap)
1 Cup Washing Soda - not to confuse with Baking Soda
1 Cup Borax
 
Grate the entire bare of soap. I put this into my blender and then add the other two ingredients to the blender and blend it up. I don't think you have to use the blender - I think it will work just as well if you don't. But if you don't - you will want to stir the mixture for a while in order to combine the ingredients.
I like to make one batch at a time- and then just make another batch after that and so on if I want to make more than one batch at a time - but it probably does not matter. You just want your stuff to be combined well.
I store mine detergent in a Tupperware canister. It stores well. Oh I almost forgot to add you use a heaping tablespoon of detergent to each load - you can add 2 tablespoons to extra dirty clothes.

This stuff works great and is very economical. Each box of Washing Soda and Borax cost about $3.00, But they make quite a few batches - since you only use 1 cup per batch. I will get prices and then measure out how many cups of each product they have and then I will be able to tell you how much each batch actually cost. But I can tell you this it is cheaper than even the cheap detergent. I use Ivory Soap and I bought a 10 pack of them and had a coupon so I got a really good deal. And that was like a couple of years ago- I made up a few batches at the first. Have shared some bars with my son, we have used a few bars for showers and then I have made up these last few batches and have at least a couple more left.
 
********************************************
 

Dish washing Powder

1 Cup Borax
 
1 Cup Baking Soda
 
Mix these two together and put into a container. You can use about 2-3 Tablespoons for each load.
 
Where ever I got these directions also said to fill the rinse aid receptacle with vinegar once every week or two.
 
Some of the other Dish washing powders talk about using Sea Salt and/or citric acid, one of the places said they used an unsweetened lemon aid koolaid package- but I just don't know how important those things are. Research on the Internet then decide how you want to make your dish washing powder.
 
Anyway that is what I use. And I have been happy with them. I do use a regular dish washing liquid ever so often. Cause I already had a container of it when I made my home made stuff. Don't know if I will continue to buy the stuff or not. I have not been using my dishwasher hardly at all. And most of the time when I do use it I am only using it to dry the dishes that I have washed by hand. 
 
                                              ********************************
 
I would be interested to know if any of you use home made cleaning products and how you make them. I am looking into doing more of my cleaners - by hand. Much cleaner and safer. Let me know.
 

2 comments:

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

28: My Oil of Choice

Another installment of Breadbeckers! :O)