Monday, August 29, 2011

Supplying Our Needs- part 1

In 1 Peter 5:8 we are warned that the devil is out to get us:

"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour."

And I believe that because so many of us are so stubborn,that God was sure to include a few examples in the Bible of Satan working in an attempt to tempt us.

Probably one of the most familiar stories is that of Job:

"Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them. 7 And the Lord said to Satan, "From where do you come?" So Satan answered the Lord and said, "From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking back and forth on it." 8 Then the Lord said to Satan, "Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil?" 9 So Satan answered the Lord and said, "Does Job fear God for nothing? 10 Have You not made a hedge around him, around his household, and around all that he has on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. 11 But now, stretch out Your hand and touch all that he has, and he will surely curse You to Your face!" 12 And the Lord said to Satan, "Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person." So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord." Job 1:6-12

And remember that Satan also tempted Jesus 3 times. And if he went after Jesus~ what in world makes us think that we would be safe from his attacks.

This past week-end I came across a passage in the Bible- once in a sermon and once on my friend Susan's blog- Susan's Spot . (You may want to go check out her post - it is about Encouraging One Another.)
Here is the passage:

"And the Lord said, "Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren." Luke 22:31-32

When reading this passage - don't miss a very important part. Verse 32 says ..."I have prayed for you." This was Jesus telling Peter that he knew that Satan as going after him. And Jesus wanted Peter to know that He had prayed for him. How amazing is that?

What I love about this verse in Luke is that we can personalize it by replacing Peter's name with our own names:

"And the Lord said, "Lisa, Lisa! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you(Lisa), that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren." Luke 22:31-32

Go ahead - try it.

So we may be attacked and tempted by the devil - as a roaring lion, but we have a advocate. We are told in 1 John 2:1 - let's look:

"My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous."

Praise the Lord!

And I believe that this is just ONE of the "needs" spoken of in Philippians 4:19:

"And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

Later we will explore more of those needs. :o)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! Appreciate your thoughts. Encouragement for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you put your name into the verse--I think I need to print out the verse with my name in it and post it over my desk! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

26: The Facts About Fats - Part 1