Wednesday, February 9, 2022

I Was Finally Able to Sow Some Seeds!

Yay! I was able to get some seeds started this week!! 

I had tried to start some seeds in the past and I had used just regular soil. And I waited and waited with no results. I wondered why I had failed. Well after watching some gardening youtube videos - I learned that it is best to start seeds in a special seed starting soil. 

So I had wanted to show you what starter soil I had used but could get a photos so decided to leave a link here - Jiffy Seed Starter Soil I find it at Home Depot - that is where this link will take you. It is just under 6 dollars a bag. 

So I have found the best way for me to start seeds - is to use a 5 gallon bucket - like you can buy at Lowes and Home Depot - and pour my soil into it. I then boil some water and pour it in the bucket. I stir it around. Then I add more - if the soil is still dry. At the beginning it ends up needing quite a bit of water to get the soil moist. 
By using hot water - it sanitizes the soil. It also kills any bug eggs that might be in the soil. I have heard from some people that when they did not do this step that they ended up with a lot of knats around their plants. It also heats us the soil so that it helps the seeds germinate. And that is awesome!! 
There are many different things to use to start your seeds but last year we bought these trays and I will be using them while they hold up. I really like that they come with domes. 
So I fill up the trays with the warm soil. And I plant the seeds and I put the domes on - with the valves closed. This keeps the heat and moisture in. I also insert a plant label insert into each tray - or each row - if I plant 2 different things in one tray. Like I did 3 of one kind of egg plant and 3 of the other kind. 
Once I have all my planting done - I use this great sprayer I bought at Dollar General last year for less than $10.00 ~ It seems that it was only like $5.97 or so. I love it. I add warm water to this and then you pump the top and then you can spray to water all the seeds! Then the covers go back on and I place the trays under grow lights in my sunroom. 

 Just in case some of you are interested in what I planted here is a list: 

  • eggplants - 2 different varieties 
  • basil 
  • brussel sprouts
  • broccoli 
  • cabbage 
  • kale 
  • tomatoes - 2 different varieties of cherry tomatoes - one red one orange 
Oh and I am in zone 8a. I know when I am reading gardening information - I am always wondering what garden zone the person lives in. Because just because it is time for one person to plant something does not mean it is time for every one to start those seeds. So make sure you know your zone and when the best time to plant things in your area. 

If you don't know your gardening zone click HERE   This link will take you to Farmers Almanac - you will see a map - you can zoom and and see different areas better if need be. You can click on the area that you live to see what zone you are in. And there is some where on Farmers Almanac that you can type in your zip code to find out also. 

I hope that these gardening posts help encourage you to garden and if you already garden I hope that I am able to share some things that might help you along your gardening journey. There are SO many things to learn to help us be more successful. Good luck!! :O) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

33: The Way to Captivity