Monday, February 7, 2022

Chickens - Tips and Hints

So my chickens had not been laying eggs for a couple of months. My friend Rene reminded me that by using a heat lamp - it would help the chickens start laying again. Then later I was talking to a friend that we hardly ever get to talk to mentioned that she gives her hens - black oil sunflower seeds in the winter months so they get more protein and that it usually helps as well. So I implemented both of these things and sure enough thankfully some of the girls started laying again. 

One morning when I let the chickens out of their coop/dog run area one chicken went running away. This is so weird - because I had just tossed out kitchen scraps for them to eat - usually they eat stuff I throw out first before they run off. So after I had the chickens taken care of I decided to do a little investigating - it took a little bit of time but look what I found! 

Thankfully I was able to gather the eggs and they have not been using that area to lay. I am hoping that she decided to use the laying boxes again. I put out another fake egg or 2 to help lure her there. 

*Chickens like to lay where other chickens have laid an egg!  

I wanted to share another important tip with anyone who raises chickens. I am doing this because there is some bad information out there. Just a week or so ago I was watching a youtube video where a lady had just went and gathered her eggs- she had not gathered for a week or so - so she had quite a few eggs. Then she began to wash ALL the eggs with a hose outside. 

So you may wonder what is wrong with that/ Well - the eggs have a special coating on them that helps preserve them. They last longer with this coating on the eggs. If you do not wash the eggs you are able  to keep your eggs on out kitchen counter or in your pantry. Once you wash them you must store them in the fridge- and like I said that the eggs don't last as long. SO I was surprised that she washed all the eggs. I figure she was doing it for the camera -for content- so people could see what all she did. 
But I wanted to share with you all that if you have chickens - and you gather fresh eggs- IF you want them to last longer - don't wash them. You can wash them before you use them. Or you can wash up a dozen at a time and put them in the fridge. And you don't have to wash them at all. Some might find that gross but eggs are quite clean, if you have healthy chickens. 

*Fresh laid eggs last longer when you do not wash them.

Lucky for me I found this great ceramic egg holder at the thrift store - I paid 50 cent or 1.00 for it. 
I love it because I keep eggs in it so they can be easily accessible. 

I hope these hints and tips help you in raising your own chickens! :O) 


 

2 comments:

  1. Glad your getting eggs again.. we go through alot and sell alot.. We have a tiny hen laying now��

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

33: The Way to Captivity